Chapter twenty

I looked at myself in the mirror once more, breathing in calmly as I smiled at my reflection. 

Last night, the entire kingdom was informed of the truth of the rumours; or, the lack of, rather. Today, I was to get married to Apollo, my wonderful lover. And for the first time, as I looked at my beautiful reflection in the mirror, adorned in the silky dress and cropped veil I had repulsed a couple weeks before, I felt excited to get married.

Link was going to leave the castle on horseback during the ceremony. He had told me so himself.

Lisa had talked me through my feelings the whole morning, calling him this that and the other and building back the wall of hatred for him that had been previously shattered.

Everything was exactly how it should be. Except...

My mind kept drifting back to the image of Link crying to himself last night. I couldn't help but feel remorse for him. 

Sure, I hated him for what he did, but...Did I really?

"How do you feel?" Lisa asked, snapping me out of my daydream. 

"Oh." I grinned. "I feel ready."

"Yay!" she clapped her hands and began cleaning up the room.

I stood beside my father once more, but this time, things felt different. More fresh, maybe. Like a weight had been taken off my shoulders.

He didn't say anything, but he did genuinely smile at me, which meant much, much more than any stupid string of words that could come out of his mouth.

He walked me down the aisle, and instead of being met with whispers and glares, I was met with smiles and nods. Everything was okay. My reputation was rekindled.

And Apollo, breathing a sigh of relief, waited by the altar as he nodded at my appearance, smiling.

The vows went well, and Apollo's included a lot of promises to trust me and believe me forever more.

The exchanging of the rings began and the ring seemed much more light and shiny than before.

And then it happened.

Up to this day, I do not know why or what pushed me to say what you are about to read. 

It was so sudden, so volitile. But boy am I glad I did this.

I think it must've been destiny, because really, I had felt amazing for the entire day up until this moment when my whole world changed.

It began with Apollo saying "I do". 

My mind began to rush, skimming over everything that had happened these past couple of weeks.

Link in my arms, really trusting me. I had never felt so close to somebody. 

The day I was stood here, opposite him, dreading the next few weeks. On the brink of tears for the entire ceremony.

I even began getting flashbacks from my childhood. 

Link and I arguing when we were sixteen over a stunt that he had pulled. The two of us bantering and glaring at one another from across classrooms.

The night where Apollo and I had a fight right before the winter ball when I was fifteen, and I had ran out of the ballroom crying my eyes out. Link was the only one who noticed and instantly ran out after me.

He caught up with me and held my arm, trying to comfort me. Asking me if I was okay, what was wrong, despite our hatred for one another.

And I had pushed him away, yelling at him and calling him names.