Chapter sixteen

I was rudely awoken once more to the sound of knocking on my door.

Throwing on a robe, I staggered towards it, exhausted.

Upon opening it, I was met with Lisa who was carrying towels. She grinned at me, her eyebrows displaying visible fear.

I groaned at the sight of her.

"Hey, hey, I didn't wake you up just to talk to you. I actually did have some towels to deliver."

"Great, thanks," I snatched the towels from her and began closing the door. "Goodbye!"

"Wait, wait!" Lisa pushed the door back open and sighed, drooping her shoulders in retreat. "I'm sorry for what I said."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Do you know what you did wrong?"

"Uhm. Yes?"

I blinked rapidly at her, awaiting an answer. 

"I...Was being rude about Link?"

"Not just that!" I protested. "You were being inappropriate about his situation when you knew that his dad had just died." 

I was whispering now, and looked back into Link sound asleep in the bedroom wearily before exiting the quarters alltogether and closing the door behind me so that I was alone with Lisa in the hallway.

"Do you know how upset he was about it?" I asked.

"Um...No?" Lisa scratched the back of her head.

"It took him a week to stop being so defensive, and when he finally had a complete episode, he cried his lungs out in my arms for thirty minutes. Thirty minutes, Lisa!"

"Shoot. Sounds rough." 

I could tell that she was trying not to ask about what happened the day I was off.

"It was. His throat was completely slashed the next morning. Did you even ask about how he was before you began gossiping about him yesterday?"

"No." Lisa looked me in the eyes. "I'm sorry."

I shrugged. "Well, it's okay now."

"Okay." She nodded awkwardly. "So...What about the day you were off?"

"Well, I spent the day with him. We talked about his dad."

Lisa nodded her head, sliding her hands into her apron pockets. "Anything else I should know?"

I caved just then, wanting my bestfriend back. The truth of it was, I was absolutely ecstatic about what happened last night, and knew I couldn't go on without telling somebody soon.

"Well, there is one thing..." A very subtle smile began to creep onto my face.

"What?" Lisa's ears perked up. "What is it?"

"Last night..." I checked my surroundings, craning my neck behind me before returning to the conversation with a quieter tone of voice. "Me and Link sort of...Kissed?"

Lisa's mouth fell wide open, her eyes growing huge in the process. "Shut up." She nudged my arm as my smile grew visibly in size. "Shut up!"

"I know, I know!"

She covered her mouth with her hand. "Zelda, this is huge! Wait, so was it like, a short kind of thing, or-"

"Oh, no, no.Definitely not."

Lisa gaspped and began to laugh in disbelief. "Yes! Oh my god, I have to tell the others!" She hesitated for a moment. "Wait, I can tell the others, right?"