Chapter fifteen

"Dad?" 

I woke up in a dazed as I spotted the empty space beside me. Outside was pitch black, indicating that it was still nighttime.

"Dad, where are you going?"

I sat up and saw Link walking towards the living room, craning his neck as if he were looking at somebody in the distance. He began to follow whoever it was he was seeing.

"Link." I swung my legs off the edge of the bed and pushed myself off, advancing after him. "Link?"

"Dad, I can't..." Link reached out towards the empty air before him. "Dad, I am not lying. You are sick."

I held Link's arm and gently pulled him towards me. He didn't seem to notice my prescence.

They said never to wake somebody sleepwalking, so I tried to gently get him back to bed. "Link, it's okay. Come back to bed."

"Zelda, tell him I'm not lying." Link pointed to the air in front of him and looked back at me, his eyes half closed. "He's sick, isn't he?"

"Link. Come back to bed."

"No. Dad's here."

"No he's not." I shook my head. Link's face displayed visible confusion.

"Dad, tell her the joke." Link turned back to the empty space. "No, the joke about the soldier."

"Link, come on, now." I tried to ease him back towards the bedroom. 

He looked at me with a stern expression. "Why are you so mean?"

I saw his expression begin to melt away as consciousness washed over him. "What..."

"Just come back to bed."

"But, dad was..." He turned his head back behind him. "Dad was..."

He turned back to me as I shook my head. "It's okay. Come back to sleep."