Chapter twenty-one

"Zelda, they've lost the ribbon for the dining table. I simply don't know what we're going to do!" Dalia scurried into the dressing room, stressed and fretting.

"No ribbon, then. Sorted." I smiled, applying one last layer of mascara onto my lashes.

"Zelda!" lisa burst through the door, groaning. "Your husband is useless. He can't even put up a banner without it being askew!"

I pouted. "Aww, well, he's trying his best." 

"His best needs to be better. Everything he does is sloppy."

"Hey, you were the one who convinced me to get with him. Now, help me up."

Dalia and Lisa both ducked under my armpits, lifting me out of my seat as I huffed with discomfort. "Getting big, isn't she?"I gently stroked my very pregnant belly as Dalia and Lisa pulled away from me before I left the room to look for Link.

The entire ballroom was filled to the brim with people left right and centre hanging up silver decorations and carrying platters of food. 

I advanced through the crowd, trying to find the dirty blonde hair that I had become so familiar with.

"Hey, can I actually see my wife? Wha- Have you forgotten that it's actually my anniversary too?"

I approached him as his face relaxed. "There she is!" He pulled me into a warm hug. "God, they're making me do all the work around here as if I don't run the goddamn place."

"Aww, I'm sorry." I patted his jaw.

"Nahh, it's fine." He shook it off. "How's things holding up on your end?"

"Ugh, I can't catch a break either." I complained. "I haven't seen you all day, it's not fair!"

"I know! As soon as I walked in, I was loaded with boxes and decorations as if they didn't recognize me."

"It's days like these I wish my father were still around to help." I sighed.

"Well, in a way, he is." Link glanced up to the painting I had made for my father a few days after his passing. "Look, he's glaring down at us now, as if to tell us to get back to work."

"Hey, you're right. I'm feeling very pressured to get back to my study now."

"Hmm." Link chuckled.

"Princess!" Apollo called out, jogging towards me. "I just wanted to ask if you wanted Johnathon's troops guarding the east wing or the west wing tonight."

Apollo had finally forgiven me after three long, gruelling months of apologies, hand-written letters and what must've been a whole garden of flowers. Now, we remained co-workers and his and Link's relationship remained, well...Almost civil. Almost.

"Hmm, east wing. That's where the least amount of guests will be coming from, considering that's where the kitchens are."

Apollo nodded and glanced towards Link, scowling. "Link." 

"Apollo." Link coughed in response before Apollo left the scene.

"So, I'd say we're just about ready." I held onto Link's biceps, kissing his cheek. "I'll see you later."

Link waved me off before I saw another large box being planted into his arms as he gaped in response.

So, really, everything had turned out alright.

One year later, and marrying Link was still the best decision of my life.

And to think, it all started with a stupid game of twenty-one questions.

*THANKS FOR READING 🤭 This one took way longer than my other works because, tbh, I much prefer the story and the more laid back style of writing. Whoever you are, I hope you enjoyed! And remember, stay in school kids. Seriously, I should be revising rn. I'm gonna fail all my GCSEs next year...*