Free-Time

All rights reserved to Hiro Morita.

Free walked down the cracked stone streets of Spain with his usual frown. A brief reflection in a puddle showed off his dreary gray eyes. The day was gray also, with rolling clouds as he continued his way around a corner to make it back to BC Sol. Thanks to his skills, the team was on top of the Blading world. He felt a little lighter thinking about that. Blading was one of the few things that gave him joy.

Funny enough, he couldn't find a decent fight around here if his life was at stake.

Growing stronger with his team had led him to outgrow both them and pretty much his entire town. Battles that would last for minutes on end now flashed by him. All the possibilities inside them: the twists and turns, the frustration of being backed into a corner, and the warmth of pushing through for the final win, all just got sucked away in an instant.

It was boring. And living with one life meant that boring wouldn't fly.

To deal with this, Free decided to skip out on an easy win the best he could. If it was a tournament, and his team was fumbling the ball, he'd step in, but aside from that, he couldn't bother.

Turning a corner to his left, Free walked down a stone-bordered alleyway draped in shadows. His steps eventually stopped at the sound of far heavier ones just up ahead. Out of the darkness came a pudgy guy wearing an all-too-ineffective jacket that barely even came over his waist. The guy's hair was a red mohawk, and his mouth was fixed with an omnipresent, confident sneer. That one sneer told Free everything.

"And, the circus begins." the blonde mumbled as the guy came into view, towering over him. His eyes were still as dreary as ever.

"So you're Free, right? Free De La Hoya?"

"You want me to write it on my forehead or something?" That was the other thing about being a strong Blader. Once you got out there, everyone would know your name. And everyone would want a piece of you.

The guy glared at him. "You some comedian too?"

"No, but I do know some magic." He said before turning to leave. He didn't have time for a random scrap with some nobody. He had better places to be.

He could feel the guy fume behind him as he walked. "You scared or somethin'?" He pulled out a Bey from his pocket.

"You think just because you're some big-name Blader, you can walk away from me?"

Free just looked back at him over his shoulder. "No. Just not interested in wasting both of our time." With that, he walked out to find another route.

Free walked through the now pouring streets. His usually spiked blonde hair was flopping all over his wet face as he rushed for some kind of cover. His team must be worried sick right now. As he made a right into an alleyway, he huddled under a convenient balcony on the right side of the building.

His run for cover finished with him jumping back at the sensation of his foot hitting something.

Letting out a grunt and narrowly jumping back, Free's eyes came down to a sight that made his usually dreary eyes burst wide.

It was a kid. Barely even half his height, huddled and bawling beneath the balcony with him.

"You okay?" His voice was genuinely concerned now.

The kid just sniveled and looked up at him. His face was covered in bruises and tears. "H-he— he took my Bey."

Free kneeled at him and asked. "Who?"

The kid just pointed up the alleyway. A direction that Free knew all too well was the path toward the local Beystadium. His shock immediately snapped to rage. You could Blade however you like, Aggressive, Passive, or Strategic. He couldn't care. But no one plays dirty.

He cooled his rage as he looked down at the kid."Let's get you inside. I'll get you your stuff back, I promise."

The kid nodded.

The rain continued to rage around the stadium as Free walked to it. The guy from before was standing there with the same old sneer, with multiple kids bawling and begging for their Beys.

When he saw Free, the guy folded his arms and chuckled slightly. Free wordlessly cocked Drain Fafnir to his launcher as the guy did the same with his Bey.

"3," They both said.

"2,"

"1,"

"Go shoot!" Their Beys fell into the stadium and rushed for each other. They clashed with a massive explosion as the guy was flung backward while Beys fell from his pocket before he slammed to the floor. Free retrieved Fafnir and walked over to pick up the kids' Beys.

As their faces lit up with joy, Free congratulated himself on some time well spent.

Just wanted to make something short and sweet while I'm working on a bigger project.