Fubuki-Grit

All rights reserved to Hiro Morita.

Fubuki remembered all of it, clear as day, the day he thought he grabbed the golden ticket.

As the blonde young man collapsed to the ground in the evening heat, his heart hammered in his chest as his face was slick with sweat. Trying to get up, but failing, the boy's mind began to wander back to how he'd gotten as far as he did.

Training with the legendary Shu Kurenai was practically a dream come true for a kid like him, young, shy, and insecure when it came to just about everything, but the realities of it were a mixed bag.

Shu was a fine Blader and mentor, sure, but someone like him was a hamper on the young boy's ego. No matter how hard he trained, no matter what tricks he tried, Shu's Spriggan Requiem always came out on top in the end. Fubuki remembered being so frustrated that he could barely do a thing before the match was over with, all the times he'd thought he was in over his head and should just quit before his idol stomped on his heart even further.

But no matter what, Shu would always push him to do better in the end.

So Fubuki did just that, training just like he was now, from sunrise to sundown. Shu chastised him for it, telling him he'd burn himself out eventually but the more time went on, the more it became an absolute must in Fubuki's book. The strength he needed to beat Shu, the strength that Bladers showed on the world stage was immense. The Beys they used, the moves they made, the resonance they showed off was lightyears ahead of anything he'd seen before, and to some of them, it came practically naturally.

As he struggled to get to his feet, the weight of that last thought was heavy on Fubuki's mind. So many Bladers: Aiga, Phi, Hearts, and so many others were beyond him, and the worst part was that they just seemed to get stronger. He had never believed in the idea of natural talent, but from the feats they pulled off, it might as well be real.

Getting off the ground with his hands shaking and his breath hitching, Fubuki reached down into his pockets and pulled out Emperor Forneus, strapping the black Bey to his launcher and cranking it clockwise.

Fine. Even if getting there seemed impossible, he'd do it anyway. It didn't matter how absurd their powers were, nobody was unbeatable, not even Shu

With enough grit, he'd close in on them in no time.