Chapter 2 | Weakling

One week after the funeral you find yourself in the middle of the forest, surrounded by huge trees whose leaves catch the moonlight.
It's been two hours since you set foot in the forest because a person in a town nearby told you Akaza just attacked the village. Together with a other demon slayers you helped the irritated villagers to calm down again and aid the wounded ones.

Then you said you had something else to do and followed Akaza's track as long as it's still fresh.

The perfect place to hide or eat would be in this area of the forest. It's dark and the trees are so close to each other that you can't see anything clearly. Even the moonlight can't get through.

However the forest is filled by suffocating silence.
Proof that a demon is here.
You just have to find out which demon it is.
And you'll definitely hear it if it moves.

With a deep breath you alarm your senses to work as precisely as possible and sneek over the fresh grass.

You change your direction every time you notice that animal sounds are audible in the distance. No animal is close to a demon meaning that you're taking the wrong path.

Whenever the trees aren't close together the moon is your only source of light which makes it difficult to distinguish rocks or weird looking branches from a demon's silhouette.

On top of that your own flat breathing sounds like a thunderstorm in the slumbering silence.

A few moments later you hear a rustling.
You freeze and scan your surroundings.
Something is here.
A shadow catches the glimpse of your eyes. You swirl around and see a silhouette disappear between the trees. You heartbeat speeds up.
Adrenaline begins to pump through your veins.

That thing walked on two legs not on four.
But if it was a demon, why didn't it attack you?

You decide not to think about it and begin to chase it.

Its steps are much quieter than yours. Branches snap and dried leaves crackle under your feet. Your breathing drums in your ears.
You turn sharp left and see the silhouette vanish again. Goosebumps appear on your skin.

Being able to flee at this speed proves your assumption that it's definitely a demon.
It looked smaller than an average male demon but had a very muscular build.

Without getting slower you dash through the forest with squinted eyes.
You come to a hold in a clearing. Pure moonlight shines down at the place and makes it look almost magical.
Moonflowers cover the ground and twinkle in the moonlight.

You don't have long to take in the scenery.
Close to the middle of the clearing stands someone.

It's a muscular young man with skin so fair it is in a bright green-tinged white. It's the color of a crystal clear lake when sunlight dances over its surface. Beautiful as such but unhealthy looking on a living being.

Apart from that the skin is decorated by a pattern of thick blue lines that make the creature melt into the haphazard surrounding.

It's a strong demon but you can't see his face clearly. It gets swallowed by the darkness.
You squint your eyes.

The demon wears a sleeveless purple haori that's cut off at his waist and exposes his chiseled chest. Below this, he wears a pair of baggy white pants that are rolled to just below the knee with a blue rope belt to secure them at his waist.
He's barefoot and wears a chain of large round pearls around each of his ankles that reflect the moonlight.

A center line runs directly down his chest to halfway down his stomach. His pecs each show three lines halfway to the center line. This three-line pattern also repeats around his waist.
Two lines embrace his biceps and another two lines meander their ways up to his wrists. Each of his fingers has a dark blue tinge.
The demon's toes also share this color.