Chapter 5 | Savior

Although the sun just set the village is clothed in silence. Only the lights jumping behind closed curtains prove that life does exist here. Your senses are at their peak. No sound gets unnoticed by you. The louder is your own march over the pebbles of the street.
You wander through the village to check for any source of a demon. Now and then you see faces peeking out of the windows to make sure you're not the demon but the savior.

The temperatures keep dropping with the rising of the moon until the gusts of wind send shivers down your spine. Still, it's quiet.
You decide that it's better to hide somewhere in order to lure the demon out of its hideout. Breathing flatly to be as quiet as possible you press against the wooden wall of a house and trust your hearing fully.

The howling wind is the only noise for a long while. Even though the villagers are dead silent you're pretty sure that they aren't asleep. Knowing you could be dead tonight wouldn't guarantee your sleep neither.
The more important it is to end this dread that no human should face.

Two hours after sunset the atmosphere slightly changes. Apart from the cicadas which awoke a few moments ago. The howling of the wind continues but mixes with the hungry growl of something feral. You unsheath your katana and grab its hilt tightly with one hand.
Now it's your time to shine.

With alerted senses you peek around the corner of the house you're hiding behind and your heart immediately skips a beat.

A small, male demon with twisted horns which bulge out of its forehead grins at you with a wicked gleam in its reddish eyes. He bares his fangs.

You gulp and remind yourself to continue your concentration breathing. With a new wave of oxygen you get calmer again. Only now do you realize that the demon is not exactly looking at you but simply into your direction. His eyes seem to wander across the village to pick out the house he wants to terrorize.

His long, dark hair dangles in a tail from his head. He looks young. Around fourteen.

With your aim so close you step out of your hideout and point your red blade at the predator. Even though sixty feet separate you from him he clearly understands your intentions. An eerie snarl echoes through the village that silences even the cicadas.

You wrap your free hand around the hilt of your katana as well. Your stance is strong and secure.
You squint your eyes, ready to meet your opponent.

The demon yells frustrated and pounces forward. Its speed is astonishing. You shift your stance smoothly like you always do when parrying a hit. However this time it's different. Instead of finishing the movement your body freezes midway. Instantaneously panic shoots through your veins and you take your eyes off of the demon for a second.
What's this?
Why do your legs protest?

As you look up again the demon is nearly in front of you but your legs won't move regardless of your fury. Meaning you need to face the consequences and try your luck with your katana. You gain momentum with your arms and your katana crashes together with the demon's pale forearms.

Deep cuts leak blood but its wrists are still connected to its body and immediately heal. Usually a cut made by you slices even a head off. That it didn't work now is more than concerning.

Are you too feeble? Again?
Is your katana too wrecked?
Why does this keep happening to you?

"What is it, demon slayer?", the demon spats, well knowing what you're thinking of right now.

You hiss and make a jump backwards. Quickly you swing your katana with your wrist. Perhaps the demon was just lucky. You will try again.

The demon laughs, squats and jumps. It dashes down on you with its talons pointed at your throat.
Although the demon is hust fourteen years old he knows his body well. And he is strong. Too strong for his age.