Chapter 7 | Hide and Seek

For the following three days you brood in your room and hide.
Oyakata-sama received the message that the demon was exorcised by now and your Kasugai crow brought you an envelope filled with your money. It's enough to live carefree for at least four months. Four months for a lie.

You decided not to tell the honored Oyakata-sama about Akaza, obviously.
Do you feel bad for it? Yes, horribly.
Will you report the truth? Not now.
Simply because you're a coward and can't handle disappointment.

The most important message you are awaiting right now anyway is the one of Tengen's survival. In the matter of celebration no one will ask you about details of your own small victory. Eventually it will get forgotten.
Your task wasn't to kill an upper moon. Therefore no one will care.

***

After watching three moons entirely alone on your porch you put on your uniform again and grab your katana roughly.
Then you do the only thing that could prevent you from driving completely insane. Although it may have already happened.

You leave the house and wander into the forest.
Normally you would take a direct route to the pond however now you're sneaking around it in a big arch.
Only a fool would run directly into the enemy's arms. Demons can't be trusted.
Yet you're here because a demon made you an offer.

With a racing heartbeat you duck behind bushes and watch the idyllic pond. It looks exactly the same as three days ago. The crickets are as active, too and the fireflies drift unbothered through the scenery. There are no signs of any threat.

You stay and watch for a couple more minutes. The water surface doesn't move once and the bushes stay motionless.
Although it shouldn't, your excitement drops like a bolder into the deep sea. Your hands stop sweating and you stop suppressing your breath.

Of course Akaza lied to you.
Again, there's no reason for him to do this kind of thing anyway.

Devastated you sigh and rise, ready to return home and work out another way to fix your mind. A second later your heartbeat stops for a moment and the hair on your neck stands up. The crickets aren't as trustworthy as you always thought them to be.

In synchrony with you another human being rose on the other side of the pond, hidden behind a bush not far from you.

Akaza's eyes reflect the moonlight as they pierce into you without a single expression.
No way he's been directly in front of you the whole time.
How had he been so calm? Normally you could hear a rabbit breathe if you concentrated enough. Not even his scent was noticeable.

His thin lips are curved upwards.
"Surprised?", he calls across the pond and crosses his arms. His grin exposes his pointed teeth.

You realize that the two of you stand on the opposite sides as last time. A coincidence that maybe saved your life. Imagine if you'd come from the other side as last time. In case Akaza had been here before you, you'd have walked directly into his arms.
A shiver runs down your spine.
Akaza must have waited here for you. Somehow he knew that you'd take another route and hid at nightfall.
He waited.
In those few minutes you were here you would have noticed him coming.
He waited.

You can't quite grasp it.
That a demon would make this effort. For you.

You gulp and hide your shaking hands. Those wickedly gleaming eyes - Akaza's eyes - were the last thing Rengoku saw before dieing.
Those eyes were on you for minutes just now to see if you'd see them, too.

"Funny", you comment dryly and try to calm down. You don't want to show Akaza the way his behavior makes you feel.

"You haven't even heard my jokes yet", Akaza mocks and steps closer to the pond. His muscles shift threateningly.

"I'd rather cut off my ears than listen to the trash that leaves your tongue", you spat and stand upright.
Akaza had enough fun for tonight. It's time to bruise his ego.

He suddenly laughs aloud and begins to walk around the pond, coming closer with each step. The chains around his ankles stir.
"And yet", he sighs and opens his arms as if he wanted to embrace something, "you're here."
His smile is wider than ever though not wicked.

You want to punsh him in his face but he's right after all.
"If this is the content of your offer then it's shit", you say without hesitation.

Akaza's smile doesn't falter. He just sighs and puts his hands into the pockets of his pants.
"It's great to see you all motivated again. I take the right to say my excellence is responsible for your will to fight again", he utters with a smug grin.

Although it hits a spot you can't deny it.
"Dream on, idiot."

For whatever reason your plan to hurt is ego turned to your ego getting hurt.

Akaza's laugh echoes through the forest once again and startles you. Other demon slayers close by can easily recognize him. A Hashira could be here. Why is he so chill? Is he that pathetic and narcissistic?

"Oh boy, you're a lot more interesting than I thought. Perhaps you actually have the ability to become as strong as the other flame dude", he admits and clasps his hands together.

You glare at the striped demon.

He raises his arms in defense and corrects himself with an annoyed look.
"Kyōjurō Rengoku."

At least he knows his name.

"Again, I don't have time for this kindergarten behavior", you remind him.

Akaza beams.
"Then I hope you have time for something funny. I guess it's been long since you last played hide and seek ...?"

What's that supposed to mean???

Akaza doesn't wait for an answer.
"The rules are simple. I'm going to hide in this area. You're gonna seek. The longer you need the higher is the possibility that I left for dinner and you're searching the whole night for naught. Understood?"

You hate him. You always did but tonight you hate him even more.

"This is literally a children's game", you conclude.

Akaza shrugs his shoulders.
"Yet you won't find me if you continue like that."

Unsure of what he means by that you lift your chin and collect your confidence. You won't lose this bullshit.
"Bet."

Akaza's grin alone jeopardizes any living being.
"Aight", he says excitedly ,"but don't come whining tomorrow night."

Ignoring the provocation you look away and cross your arms. The fact that he thinks you'll return tomorrow annoys you. As if you didn't have anything better to do.

"See you, my Tsuguko", Akaza whispers, winks and jumps into the trees.

Too late, you jump forward to rip his eyes out of his head.
How dare he use a Hashira term for you and him!

You try to follow his silhouette with your eyes but the trees stand too closely and you lose track of him after a few moments.

Nonetheless you don't hesitate. Seething of anger you dash through the bushes to hunt Akaza.