Chapter 8 | Victory and Defeat

An hour later you still have no idea where Akaza could be. Multiple times you thought about the possibility that he already left and laughs at you somewhere. You don't know when Akaza usually eats dinner which makes it a lot more difficult to calculate your chances.

You shudder at the term dinner. If you find Akaza in time he maybe won't eat tonight. You could save someone by distracting him. But in order to do that you need to find him. With the pressure so high you can't concentrate fully.
At least that's what you tell yourself.

On top of that the embarrassment returns. By not finding Akaza you do exactly what he wants. You prove to him that you need him; that he is worlds stronger and way more skilled than you.

You shake your head to get rid of those evil thoughts. Self pity won't help you.
Akaza mentioned that you wouldn't find him by relying on your usual behavior. With this information you can't do anything though.

What does he mean by that?
What exactly should you change?
And why would you listen to a demon and not of what your master taught you?

After some time - you completely lost track of time due to the search - you peer between the trees and see a golden disc crawl along the horizon, waking the birds.
Your shoulders slump.
This can't be true.
Sure, you didn't arrive at the pond the second of nightfall but you didn't think that you had only so much time left until dawn.

Almost awaiting a comment from Akaza you wait a few more moments until the sun rays gently touch you. What usually is a friendly gesture now turns out to be an annoying reminder.

Only when the forest gets flooded with light are you certain that Akaza left and won.

***

Eighty-eight
Eighty-nine
"Ninety", you bit out and collapse onto the ground.

Covered in sweat every dust and dirt particle sticks to your skin. Although all windows are opened you feel a lack of air. Your cheek is pressed against the wooden floor and its smell begins to tingle in your nose.

You close your eyes for a brief moment and welcome the calming darkness. For a moment your head is light and your mind is free of anything. However your hard breathing through your mouth and nose disturb this short break.
Even though you're only wearing shorts and a bra it feels too much. You need to get rid of everything touching your skin and then you need to shower. Urgently.

Groaning you prop onto your hands and slowly rise. Your arms and shoulders ache in protest and your legs are too shaky to stand still.
You look at your shaking, reddish hands.

This time you exaggerated.
You started by rapidly running up and down the street of your village at sunrise. The villagers were amazed and stopped by to cheer at you until you couldn't lift a leg anymore. That was at midday.
After a break on the bench behind your house you began with multiple workouts for your legs, stomach, back, shoulders and arms. Repeating them over and over again. Lastly with your very last resources of strength you wanted to see how many pushups you could do until you fold.

Now you got your results.
And you're not sure whether you should be satisfied.

The sound of rustling feathers makes you look up. A black Kasugai crow sits on your window sill. Its dark eyes dart to your face and it starts speaking before you can even realize that it's here to report something.
"The Sound Hashira and his companions successfully exorcised the Upper Moon Six. A celebration will take place in one week at Oyakata-sama's sacred place."
Its monotone voice makes you question the victory.

Without waiting for any reaction of yours the crow jumps off the window sill again and ascends to the sky. A black dot in the purplish background.

You let out an exhausted laugh. At least one of Akaza's friends had to wish him farewell. Maybe he now knows how it feels like.

With heavy steps you make your way to your bathroom to wash yourself. It's getting more and more difficult with every movement to maintain upright. But you manage.

Half an hour later you shuffle to your wonderful, comfortable bed and fall into its cushions.
Oh god, how you need that now. To lay. To sleep.
Hopefully Akaza is waiting for you in the forest to mock you about his win. He can wait there forever.

You can't even think about a plan for tomorrow because sleep claims you faster than you expected.

***

You can't move.
Raising your arms slightly shoots pain up and down it. The same goes for your legs and rest of the body.
Again, you may have exaggerated yesterday.

Groaning you roll onto your back and shove your legs on the ground. Then you rise with gritted teeth and an aching stomach. That's the worst.

You inhale and exhale slowly.
One week until you need to be fit and look as if you've achieved something.

Four days are needed if you go there by foot, two days by horse.

Your neighbors used to have horses however they sold them a few years ago. Maybe you can find a horse elsewhere. Wasting your time by walking doesn't sound good. You have better things to do.

The thought of returning to Akaza's 'training' crosses your mind for a second but you can't risk getting caught. Now that all Hashiras, their Tsugukos and some other demon slayers make their way to Oyakata-sama's place the possibility of one crossing your way is too high.

You decide to go to the bakery at first. Breakfast will clear your mind and lighten up your mood.

You put on a simple shirt and baggy shorts as well as your wooden sandals. Welcoming the summer sun you open the door and almost slip on a piece of paper beneath your front door.

You hesitate and pick it up.
It's a note written in neat letters.
Hiding doesn't make you the winner, my Tsuguko. And it won't make you stronger.

You clench your fist and the note inside it. There's no time for your anger to show off. You quickly return to your house and tear the note into smithereens over your bucket.

To hell with you Akaza, you think with gritted teeth.

That answers your thought from earlier. You won't pay him another visit. At least not before the celebration.

Even more needy for food you stomp out of your house and across the streets towards the bakery. You ignore the worried gazes from the other villagers.

Only on your way back home with two sandwiches in your hand  does your heart stop as you realize something.

Akaza knows where you live.
And he's been here last night.