Chapter 21: Return of the Tulkun

Italicize - someone's thoughts or a story from the past

Bold - sign language

After the Sully family spent the day together as a family the day before, Neteyam decided he wanted to try and make some time to hang out with Marali specifically. He figured he should earn her trust and become her friend before he confessed his feelings for her. So, that's what he's doing right now.

"Hey, Mari." Neteyam greeted.

Marali was working on a basket with Kiri and looked up as Neteyam spoke. "Hey, Nete." She responded.

"Would you want to hang out with me today?" He asked nervously. Both girls stopped what they were doing and looked up at the boy with blank faces. Neteyam wanted to hang out with Marali? Marali glanced at Kiri before speaking, "Just the two of us?" She asked.

Neteyam nodded his head. "But if you don't want it to be just the two of us, then Kiri, Tuk, or Lo'ak are welcome to come along too." He quickly spoke.

"I'm fine with it being the two of us. While you be okay here by yourself, Kiri?" Marali asked as she got off the floor and stood beside Neteyam. "I'll be fine, Mara. Go have fun." Kiri softly spoke.

Marali and Neteyam bid Kiri goodbye before walking out of the pod. "So what do you want to do?" Marali questioned.

Neteyam thought about it for a second before responding, "Did Tsireya teach you how to skip a rock?" Marali sheepishly looked at her feet before looking at Neteyam. "She tried, but I'm horrible at it."

Neteyam laughed at her, causing her to glare at him.

"It's not funny!" She said.

"I'm sorry," Neteyam said as he stopped laughing. "I can try to teach you again." He offered.

Marali smiled at him. "Sure, that would be cool."

Eventually, both teens made it to the edge of the beach after they had grabbed some rocks. Neteyam stood beside Marali and showed her how he skips rocks, and then she tried. He asked her which hand was her dominant hand and she responded to her right. After he told her that, he showed her how to position herself, gave her a rock, and told her to take her first shot.

When Marali tried to skip the rock, it only skipped two times. So, she tried again, and again, and again. They always only skipped two times.

"I suck at this. Can we do something else?" She whined. Neteyam looked at her and smiled. "You're more worried about the strength of your throw rather than your wrist movement." He said as he made his way over to her.

Neteyam went up behind her and pressed his chest to Marali's back. "Let me help you." He said as his breath fanned over Marali's ear.

Marali was praying to Eywa that Neteyam couldn't hear her rapid heartbeat, or see the blood that was rushing to her ears. Neteyam took Marali's arm in his hand and showed her how she should move her wrist from now on.

The boy went over the movement with her three times. "You think you're ready? Or do you want me to help you with the first throw?" Neteyam asked.

"If you could help me with the first throw, that would be great." Marali breathed out as she was trying to keep her heart calm.

"Okay. On the count of three." He said.

"One."

"Two."

"Three."

After the count of three, Marali released the rock with Neteyam's help, and it skipped five times. "I did it!" She cheered as she turned around and wrapped her arms around Neteyam's neck. Neteyam's eyes widened, and he became stiff. It was only then that Marali realized what she was doing.