Chapter 31: Come Back

Buckle up ladies and gents, it's going to be a long, emotional one.

Italicize - someone's thoughts or a story from the past

Bold - sign language 

Jake and Neytiri called Norm and explained to him what had happened. They explained that Marali was shot and that they didn't know if Ronal had the necessary items to successfully take care of a gunshot. Norm had agreed with them and told them that he would be there the next day.

Norm had brought more people with him this time as it wasn't just a seizure, it was a gunshot wound right above the heart. Sure, he was a doctor, but he didn't know everything that there was to know about bullet wounds.

Several scientists crammed into the chopper, along with all of the equipment that Norm felt was necessary. He wasn't sure how bad Marali's injuries were, so he brought enough food that would last them at least two weeks. He hoped that it would be enough. As they got closer to the Metkayina clan, he felt his heartbeat in his throat. Marali is his daughter.

She was so young. She didn't deserve any of this. She didn't deserve to be knocking on death's door.

When the chopper landed, they were promptly welcomed by the Olo'eyktan and the Tsahik, who directed them to Jake and Neytiri's pod. All of the scientists who had come with Norm grabbed all of their supplies and quickly followed after the father.

"We aren't sure how long you'll be staying, so we've set up a pod for all of you," Tonowari informed. Norm ignored him as he ran ahead to go to Jake and Neytiri's pod to see his daughter. "I'm sorry about him. Marali is his daughter." Max told them. Ronal and Tonowari looked at each other confused.

"His daughter?" Ronal asked.

"Yeah, he adopted her when she was two. It's a tragic story, actually. Marali's mom died before she could give birth to her, and Marali had to be cut out of her Mother's womb. Marali was barely breathing, and Jake and the Omatikayan Tsahik took her to the spirit tree to ask Eywa to heal her." Norm explained, and the couple listened in curiosity.

They knew that Marali wasn't Jake and Neytiri's daughter, but this was far from what they were expecting.

"What about her father?" Tonowari questioned.

"He- He killed himself when Marali was two." He softly said, and Ronal gasped as she brought her hand to her mouth. "That poor girl." The Tsahik said as they finally walked into Jake and Neytiri's pod.

Max's heart dropped at the sight of Marali. She wasn't as dark of a blue as she should be, instead, she was more pale. She didn't even look alive. The only reason he was so sure that she was, was because of the slow movements of her chest signifying that she was breathing. Max looked over at Norm to see him crying over his daughter.

Jake and Neytiri stood off to the side as they watched Norm with tears in their eyes. He then looked over to see two other people surrounding the girl. Tuk and Neteyam. The scientist walked over to the father and children and sighed. "We need to get to work; so that we can figure out what's wrong," Max said softly. Norm looked over at him and nodded his head.

Norm called the rest of the scientists into the pod, and they started to get to work. "Neteyam, Tuk, I need you two to get out of the way." A woman said.

"I'm not leaving, Mara," Tuk responded.

"Please, Tuk, I know she's your friend, but we are trying to help her." The woman pleaded.