Chapter 27: Tragedy Strikes

Italicize - someone's thoughts, a story from the past, or a dream

Bold - sign language

Marali's eyes frantically moved behind her eyelids, and her breathing grew fast and shallow. She was having a nightmare.

Blood.

Death.

Fire.

Everywhere those three things surround her vision in her dreams. Marali is watching everything happen from an outsider's perspective. The dream constantly switched from Jake to Neytiri to the Sully children in that order.

At first, the dream started with the Sully children and the Metkayina children helping save Payakan, but then it turned into them getting away from the Sky people. Neteyam left with the device in Payakan's fin, and the rest of the kids tried to get away. It was hard because the machines the Sky People were using were faster than their ilus.

Lo'ak, Tsireya, and Tuk get caught and are flown onto the ship.

The vision switches to Jake, and Marali can't hear what's being said, but she knows it's bad from the way Jake reacts. Marali watches in horror as Jake moves forward on his akula to move towards the ship.

As Jake leaves the Metkayina people, everything happens in slow motion. Payakan leaps out of the air and attacks the demon ship, giving the people the distraction they need to fight.

Jake kills.

Neytiri kills.

Jake protects Neytiri.

Neytiri protects Jake.

But when it gets to Neteyam saving Lo'ak, Tuk, and Tsireya, Marali's vision no longer changes to someone else. It stays on the children as if this is the part of the dream she needs to focus on.

"Neteyam!" Tuk yells.

"Hey baby brother, need some help?" Neteyam asks as he gets his knife out and cuts off Tuk's cuffs, then Tsireya's, and lastly Lo'ak's. Tsireya quickly gets Tuk away from the ship as that's what Neteyam asks of her, and Marali silently pleads for the boys to leave as well as she helplessly watches.

Neteyam prepares to leave, but when he turns around he sees the hesitation in Lo'ak's eyes. "Lo'ak!" Neteyam calls out.

"They've got Spider. I have to save him." Lo'ak says firmly.

Marali watched as both boys silently moved through the ship and began to climb so they were not spotted.

Suddenly, there was talking, and six guards and Spider made an appearance. Neteyam jumps down and attacks the guards first, followed by Lo'ak, then Spider. A guard appears behind Neteyam, ready to kill him, but Lo'ak grabs the gun and shoots the human, killing him instantly.

"Bro, come on." Spider urged.

"Let's go!" Neteyam says as he taps his brother on the shoulder to pull him out of his dissociation.

Spider directs the teens to jump down to a lower level, and they are spotted by an Avatar who has a gun. Lo'ak goes to shoot the Avatar, but Neteyam slaps the gun down and pushes Lo'ak out of the way.

All the teens run to take cover as the Avatar shoots at them. "Go, go, go!" Spider yells.

Soon, they find a place to take cover, and Neteyam rips the gun out of Lo'ak's hand. "Go, go, go! I'll cover you!" Neteyam says as he points to the pool they could jump into to escape.