Chapter 39: Bonded For Life

Italicize - someone's thoughts or a story from the past

Bold - sign language 

The three Metkayina teens as well as Neteyam, Lo'ak, and Kiri were trudging through the forest to complete a training exercise. They had started this task today, and Ao'nung had been less than enthusiastic about it.

Although, once they completed this task, they only had one more to do before the Sully children determined if they were ready to tame their ikrans or not.

"What's the point of this?" Rotxo whispered.

"We already told you," Lo'ak said, annoyed as he looked at his surroundings. "Well, tell me again," Rotxo grumbled.

"The task is to see how observant you are of your surroundings. The forest is different from the water. These creatures will blend in until the absolute last second," Neteyam explained, also looking at the trees to make sure they weren't being followed.

"So, then why is Marali the one who's hunting us? Shouldn't we want an actual animal to target us?" Ao'nung asked.

"Trust me, Ao'nung. No one wants to be targeted by the animals here," Kiri whispered, glancing at the Metkayina teen.

Ao'nung and the other Metkayina teens were silent unless they had to talk. So far, they didn't see anyone tracking, or following them, but that didn't mean someone wasn't doing it. Marali had been there the entire time, walking, listening, waiting for the right time to attack.

She was impressed at how well they were doing. No, they hadn't spotted her, but they would point out other animals that would blend right into the naked eye. Their training had been working, and she was thrilled.

At first, she thought that training would be hopeless because Ao'nung would fight her on every piece of advice she gave him, but when she came back from her meal that one day and kicked those other kids' asses, something in his mind seemed to click.

With each task that Ao'nung completed, he grew faster and more precise. Marali had been confused by his sudden willingness to learn until she stumbled upon Spider teaching Ao'nung one night.

Spider had been giving the Metkayina teen extra lessons, as well as giving him pointers so that she would tell Neytiri what an amazing job he was doing so that Neytiri would relay the message to Tonowari and Ronal.

The group of teens had been walking through the forest for hours, and eclipse would be happening soon. Of course, Neytiri told them that if they weren't back exactly by eclipse that they wouldn't be in trouble, however, taking three teens who don't have enough training through the forest at night would not only be dangerous but also idiotic.

"Shouldn't we head back?" Ao'nung asked as he looked at Neteyam, "Maybe she gave up, and decided to go back for some food," He insisted, and Neteyam shook his head.

"No, she's here," Neteyam said, looking at Kiri and Lo'ak who nodded their heads in agreement.

"Well, then where is she? Come on, Neteyam. I'm hungry and tired," Rotxo whined.

"You two are such babies," Tsireya said, rolling her eyes.

Both Metkayina boys glared at the girl before Ao'nung spoke up again, "I understand that Marali is the best tracker, but she can make mistakes," Ao'nung said.

"Ao'nung, I'm telling you," Neteyam said, getting closer to the boy, "Mari is here," The boy insisted.

Marali pulled out her bow and grabbed the balls of paint that her dad had made for her, specifically for this training exercise. She felt the weight of the ball before she placed it on the string, and waited for the right opportunity to shoot.