Chapter 1

MADS

I didn't want to talk about it. It's been years since it happen, why the sudden questions again?

"Mom, I'm okay" I gave her a fake smile wanting to leave. It was my last year at Thunder Bay Prep before leaving for Brown. I watch her study my posture until she let it go. "Am I free to go now?" I asked seeing Jett by the door frame. I had ten minutes to drop her off at Thunder Bay Jr before leaving for my school.

"Dinner at 8 pm with your grandparents. Don't be late" She kissed my cheek doing the same to Jett. She was worried, always has been since the incident. Worried I would one day slip and go on a killing spree. It's been seven years, I haven't slipped. She should have been worried about Tavi, she was the one who saw it.

"Mom cares about you, you know" Jett spoke breaking the silence in the car. I stared straight not wanting to have her doing my parent's job.

"I know" is all I said earning a sigh from her. Putting the car in park she exits finding Tavi and II. "I'll be back at 4" I state watching them three enter their school gate. Shifting to drive I make it to Prep early before everyone. I enjoy my moments of silence before the chaos starts. On the first day of senior year, there were bound to have parties. Ivar and Gun already sent out theirs for tonight. I know Thunder Bay is waiting for them to leave, they assume since our fathers settled down that we wouldn't want to make our statement in this town. More of them than me. I spent my days learning at our dojo and practicing with my grandfather. Their adrenaline was women, drugs, chaos, and alcohol, not mine. I cleared my mind hearing the bus come to a stop, she was here. I watch as a few walk out waiting to see her. Where the fuck is she? Did she miss her stop on the first day again? I got out of my car locking it on my way to the front gate. No signal of her when the bus rode off.

"MADDEN" I turn seeing three black-haired boys walking toward me. Ivar and Gun were showing Fane around today. He was a freshman this year, both he and Finn. Indie took care of the girl side and Ivar of the boys.

"Hello," I said watching the three overly excited this morning. Fane had his list checking track of the directions from his oldest brothers.

"Party at my house while my parents are gone. Are you in?" Ivar asks watching Indie walk by with Finn. I knew something went between them in the summer I didn't care. Ivar was known to hook up with anything that moved. I nod no, leaving them behind. "Come on Mads, it's the last first party of the year" I shook my head entering my first class. She was there, sitting down with her head resting on the table. I grab the chair next to her sitting down. She looks peaceful almost like an angel. The bell rang while classmates storm inside. Ivar and Gun peep in sitting behind us.

"Is she your girlfriend?" Gun teased watching my face turn red from his idiotic comments. She had slept through the bell, not a single movement. Was she breathing? Alive? I studied her waiting to see her body rise and fall slowly.

"Good Morning, I'll be your English teacher Warren. Listen for your name" He advised going down the list of his students.

"Madden Mori"

"Here," Soon he would get to her name and realize she was knocked out cold. I nudged her hoping to get a kick. Nothing, all she did was groan at my touch. I wasn't one to like intimacy and touching was already breaking my rules. "You better wake her up before he gets pissed" Ivars warned behind me. He was heading to the Z soon.

"Xeraphina Zerafi" Fuck. I look back at the Torrances who did nothing but laugh. I nudge her again but no luck. Jesus, how much sleep did she need? "Xeraphina Zerafi" He spoke again his eyes never leaving the paper. "Last call for Xeraphina Zer—"

"Here," I said in a high-pitched voice. She is so going to owe me. I heard bickering from behind me not caring what they wanted. At least she was counted for in this class. He carried on with his lecture on expectations and books to inquire. The bell rang noticing the brunette next to me shift. She rubs her eyes focusing on the room and then on me.

"Good Morning Sunshine" Ivar taunts on his way out of the class. I can't stand that man. Gun followed closely behind like a dog to his brother.

"Shit, Did I sleep the entire class," She asked grabbing her bag. I nod my head giving her the notes before leaving. "Thank you" I heard on my way out. I never spoke to her. Not that I needed or cared, I was in her shadow making sure she got home safe and sound.

"Hey, Loverboy. When are you pounding that bitch?" I stared him down not approving of the way he spoke of Xer. She wasn't an object I could thrust and forget. I wasn't a virgin myself but she deserved better. "Fuck, man. I was joking lighten up a bit. Is she off limits now or what?" He starts digging into his food like a pig. I never enjoy being near his awful chewing. " Can you fucken talk to me? I know you have this mystery side but speak. It's bad enough half our class calls you a freak" I grab my tray throwing the rest of my unfinished food. I wasn't a freak I simply didn't see the need to expose every feeling I had going in me. Opening the doors to the library I spot her. She was energized now reviewing the notes I gave her. I watched her from across noticing the small details. She bit her nails when she got worried. Fidgeting her foot in circles to concentrate. She had her table organized by color only going on to the next subject when one was done. This whole time watching without her feeling my eyes. I shouldn't be doing this.

I have spent my whole year of Thunder Bay Prep watching over her. She didn't need my help; I have seen her stand up for herself. She was capable of doing anything without my constant shadows hovering around her.

"Do you like her?" a pre-teen voice asked, Finn. She was here in the library snoozing on us. I turn to face her hoping my stares would make her flee. "Your eyes don't scare me. Why don't you ask her out to the party?" Jesus, was she always this irritating? I could see why Indie had an attitude all the time. "I'm not forcing you to answer but balls up. My daddy spent too much time chasing after my mom, don't be like them" She rose taking her belongings with her. Maybe she wasn't bad after all. Fuck, I lost her. She wasn't in her spot anymore. I grab my shit roaming the aisles. How hard could it be to find a brunette with nappy hair?

"No, thank you" I froze in my spot watching Ivars cornering her. She had her bag on the ground, hair covering her face but I knew she wasn't comfortable in his presence. He rose her chin using his index finger to face her.

"I wasn't asking for your input. You come to my party or else everyone finds out, got it?" She nods her head facing my direction. I felt my fist tighten at his hands around my Xera. "He isn't going to save you. I am" Turning her face to him, he lean down kissing her lips. I grab a hold of his suit slamming him onto the wall. "What? You are defending your little bitch now? Finally tough enough to man up instead of hiding behind a book" He smirks looking between us. Breathe Mads, Breathe. He isn't worth it. God, I wish I could wipe that pathetic look off his face. I let go of his suit grabbing Xer's hand on the way out. I didn't stop dragging her out until we reach my car. Locking the car, I open the passenger door for her.

"I can't leave" She froze in place not leaning in. I nudge her inside against her protest. "I SAID NO" I felt a hand smack me across the face. "I'm so so sorry, please just let me go. I can't ditch please" begging me with her eyes while the pain rose on my cheek. She placed her hands on my face rubbing the spot she smacked. I could kill her now without anyone knowing. Half of me wanted to rip her heart out, and the other wanted to fuck her until she learned.

"Please"

I moved aside allowing her to enter back into the school. Slamming the passenger door I follow behind. She wasn't going to be left alone with Ivars. Party at Torrance it is, my mother could give my grandparents an excuse on my part.