Chapter 8

XERA

"LISTEN UP!," Indie announced herself in the lobby. We were an hour away from Thunder Bay, Meridian City College to be exact. They had rented a hotel for us to sleep in before tomorrow's big day. At least the food and commute were paid for, nothing my father could complain about. "Hello!," Indie yelled again not receiving anyone's attention. I grab the whistle my Father force me to wear blowing hard into it until they turned in our direction. "Thank you Xera, As I was saying Meridian College has given us the chance to explore the beautiful campus with a tour guide. I expect each of you to listen and behave, once the tour has finished we are to adventure on our own. Please meet back at the hotel before curfew at 8 pm for dinner, I hope each of you has downloaded the app that grants us free rides to and from the hotel. Sleep well and be ready tomorrow at 8 am sharp," guiding our attention to our tourer.

"Hey, can we chat after the tour?" Indie asked pulling me to the side. Raising one eyebrow I questioned what the chat was about. "Nothing bad I swear on my dog, just need some clarification."

"Clarification?" I wonder what she meant. My dream goals? Madden? My father?

"Ladies come along," The guide spoke forcing us to catch up. Indie grabs my hand leading us back to the group. Throughout the tour, she didn't speak to me only occasionally giving me small smiles taking in the information given to her. I liked Indie, she always said what was on her mind without caring. Yeah, she came from a wealthy side but that never changed her viewing of others. Her mother is very involved in making better playgrounds for those in struggling areas. I can see why she felt the need to be in control and aware of what she wants in life.

"That concludes our tour, feel free to ask any other questions and enjoy the treats we have for you. Good luck tomorrow," I broke from the group rushing to shovel anything into me. I last ate was 6 am, 6 hours ago now. Grabbing a plate I filled it with fries, chicken stripes, and an orange. A well-balanced lunch I was proud of. Walking up ahead I placed my plate on the table leaving to get iced water with a sliced lemon inside.

"Hey Xera," Indie spoke filling up her cup with lemonade. She had her tray with the same items I did. Glad to see she wasn't a salad only during tournaments. "What are you judging me?"

"No, I've never seen how alike we are minus drink options," I answer walking back to my table. I noticed someone sitting there digging at my fries. "Hey! Those are mine jack ass," I smack their hand from going for seconds. His eyes meant mine seeing the stupid smirk on his face. Sitting across I moved my plate closer to me watching Indie sit to the side of me.

"Hey dick head," She said digging into her plate watching both of us not break eye contact. Why was he here? Madden didn't inform me of the bus getting here, where was he?

"Hey four eyes," He smiled earning a dirty look from her glasses. I sat in silence waiting to see what played out. I was too invested in what they were or if they had anything going on. "Madden wants you," Ivars facing me now ignoring Indie's looks. I question him with my eyes on what he meant by wanting me. "I'm just the messenger, here is the keypad to our suite and a note," Sliding both towards me, an X on the front with a car's tape on. Putting the card into my pockets I opened the note reading his message,

             Chords have been pulled but no heart.
                                           - M

"I open it before no idea what he means by chord. Are you two into kinky shit?" He asked stealing a strip from my tray. "Didn't see my cousin as the type"

"What? No, I'll see you in our room Indie," I excused myself taking only the orange. Indie and Ivars can fight each other, I had business to resolve on my own. Thankfully the bus stop wasn't far, I waited until the next route came. No Heart played in my head, what did he mean by no heart? I felt the breeze of the bus stop, entering and sliding the card they gave us I sat on an empty seat fidgeting with the orange. At least the hotel was the same as ours, Passing the lobby I click on the 10th floor using the keypad. Watching the doors close, I watch the numbers raise to his floor. The elevator opened introducing me to a suite big enough to support a family of five. Why did two teens need so much room? I walk inside hearing the doors shut eyeing the place around.

"Madden?" I called out, huge windows filled the room making it easy to see the whole city from this level. I slipped my shoes off leaving them by the door, it was rude to enter a house with outside shoes. My socks would have to do for now.

All of this had to be rearranged from their dads. No wonder Indie and I had separate rooms but not this big. The Academy had money but wouldn't spend this much on teens when motels were the best cheap option. Hearing the sound of a shower curtain close I followed it into a room. "Mads," I whisper following the sound of his footsteps. I watched him from the door changed out the towel into sweats and a black t-shirt.

Turning to face me he knew I had been watching him. "Hey stalker," He spoke softly motioning me to follow him deeper into the room. Following behind him I sat on the edge of his bed watching him comb back each hair individually until it pleased him. "No talking today?" He asked about my quietness, I didn't have a bunch to say with his message puzzling my head and other things.

"Too much in my mind," I said slowly watching him walk towards me. Using his hands he widened my legs apart, placing himself between them before leaning down to kiss my lips. "Stop please," I respond seeing him eye me down.

"What's wrong Xera?"

"Can we talk about the message before we do anything else?"

Nodding his head, he grabbed my hand taking me into the kitchen. "Hungry?" He asked opening the fridge and naming everything they had.

"I'm good," I said taking the orange out of my
pocket. He laughs taking out two drinks of water and cutting fruit for us. We sat on the stool, and he placed the fruit in the middle for us. "So"

"Do you remember that folk tale our parents breaded into us?" He asked grabbing the orange out of my hand to peel. I had no energy to fight since I never like the feeling of the shell on my fingers. "The riddle goes The chords of the heart need to be touched to be played. What if the heart is with Edward McClanahan's?"

"Are you asking me for permission to dig up a dead man's grave? Madden, are you even heading yourself?" I couldn't think of what possessed him to even imagine it was with him. Yeah, the chords had no heart but to disturb the dead was never on my list.

"Xera, I never said that. I simply suggested we look more into the tale, Indie's grandfather was friends with them. Maybe he knows something, Tavi can come along as well" He spoke so cheerfully as if all of our issues were six feet under the ground.

"Tavi is what? Eleven, her parents would never allow her to dig up a dead man," I stated how insane he was to bring a child into this. "Are you even thinking straight today?"

"I promise Tavi to solve this when I was eleven, just because you gain interest in it as well doesn't mean she gets no part in it," He was no longer his sweet self but someone I didn't know. I knew he had a bond with Tavi but not to the point of leading her to danger. What if someone tried taking her away or we got caught? There is only so much his family can bend for them.

"She is eleven, Mad,"

"I can protect her"

"What if you can't?"

"I have done it before and I'll do it again," He spoke with dark thoughts behind his eyes. I didn't feel safe around him anymore. I got off the stool grabbing my shoes from the floor. Clicking the buttons on my floor I heard him speak. "Leaving me now means we end," He threatened me, "No riddle-solving from my end."

"I wish you luck, don't come to me when shit doesn't go as planned. I warned you," I watched the doors close I slipped my feet into my sneakers before hitting my floor. Luckily Indie wasn't home yet to ask her a million questions about what went on. At least now he was out of my head for the tournament tomorrow, no distractions just the way my father wanted.