Chapter 10

XERA
*EARLIER*

"Dad, I'm heading to the hotel now. We just finished up our meeting," I spoke lightly outside of the convention center. My father was on my ass if I was making irresponsible decisions. Light word came to him of the Horsemen coming to Meridian City for business. He wasn't static to find out I was in the same building as their offspring.

"You know what to do if they come, lock your doors and stay inside," It was a demand to not be taken lightly. My father had issues with Gabriel Torrance, Grandfather of Torrance and Banks. Meaning I could not be seen around their click kids. I never knew why nor asked. My mother was too fuck up in the brain to explain and my father was off selling illegal shit to pay for her expenses. "Xeraphina, Are you listening?"

"Yes"

"Repeat what I said"

"I am to lock my doors when I return home and not go out unless a faculty member requires it," I bit my lips hoping I was right knowing I only pay attention to half of his words. I hear a hard sigh from the end of the phone knowing I was getting it when I return home. I stayed quiet. Asking or calling out his name would aggravate him more.

"Listen closely, I have deals that need to be done smoothly now that their parents are out of Thunder Bays for the weekend. Don't get caught fooling off or exposing us, we both know who will get the end of my anger. Am I loud and clear?" Before I could speak I heard a voice in the distance not sure of who it was. "Stay on the line." He went mute while I received a text from Madden.

M: We need to talk, I can't lose you nor push my cousin aside. Can we agree?

M: You did wonderful today at the tournament.

Did he watch our school live broad of the event? I know he used to be in our club but dropped out of nowhere. I wanted to reply but choose not to. I was to ignore him until I returned home, yesterday was a mistake.

"Xera, are you still there?"

"Yes, Father?" I answer waiting on his saying. I heard the shuffling of papers before he began his lecture again.

"How close are you to Madden Mori?"

I froze. Did he find out about our plans? Was someone in the room when we were...oh god no. He couldn't have found out right?

"I take it you are based on your quietness. Listen up closely, I need you to get insight into his Mother's campaign. I can't have her fucking up the business, use your sweet talk around the boy. Get me what I need," Even through the phone he had the effect of making me go numb. Taking a breath before asking, "How close?"

"Close enough to get information but not enough to offer yourself to him. Understood?"

If only he knew of what we had done already. I agree with my father's terms of getting what he wanted in return for my mother's place back home. I didn't have to like Mads, I just had to get insight on where his mother planned to resolve at Thunder Bay.

"Hey" 

"Bye Dad" I hung up the phone quickly before she heard any more of our conversation. "Indie, what I have said about sneaking up on me?" I ask being more annoyed than worried if she overheard anything. Her eyes shortened with her lips signing to me that she was apologizing. "What happens now?"

"Nothing, was it your father asking how it went?"

"No, more of making good choices talk. You?"

I knew her parents had come down to see the show. The loudest one was her father who didn't get that yelling at the judge for deducting a point wasn't a red card. He almost got told to leave until Indie's mother calm him down. A weird man but he is trying to understand the game of math coming from an all-sports dad.

"He is fine now. My mom made him apologize to the judge for his foul language," She laughed receiving a text from someone. Her mood changed before facing me again. "Do you have plans at 6? I know you two are in a weird stubborn relationship but he did watch the whole broadcast. Not guilt tripping you into watching his game just I wouldn't mind bringing you along with my family," She was hoping I had a bit of me that was soft to her. "Please"

"I can't. I have to call my mom later" I didn't like rejecting her invite knowing she was trying her best to understand where I came from. She nods her head thinking of what to say next. "I know this isn't my place but the school has a live stream of it in case you want to see it in our room. I'll see you later okay, you did a great job today." I watched her walk back to her parent seeing them embrace her. I grab my headphones plugging them into my ears taking the bus home. I wasn't in the mood to be chatting for tonight.

"Hello?" I groan answering the phone, I squinted my eye adjusting to the brightness. 1 am it read, shit I overslept. "Hello?" I asked again annoyed the person on the other end wasn't answering. It wasn't until I almost hung up that high pitch sound went through.

"XEERIE BABY I LOVE YOU STOPPP HEY STOPP IM TALKING TO XEEERIE" INDIE.

"Indie, stop calling me when you're drunk. Goodbye and goodnight"

"WAIT DON'T HANG UP PLEASE I NEED YOU"

"No"

"Please" My father's voice played over my head of needing Madden close. He should be there and so should I.

"You owe me" I grabbed my hoodie leaving my phone behind. I knew the way to their suite, shouldn't be hard coming back less than a second. Waiting on the elevator to drop I enter leading into their suite. Before the door could even open, music was piercing through the metal doors. Smells of different cologne and perfumes hit me making my way inside to find. I dig through the crowd looking for a brunette but no signs. Where the heck could she be???

"XERRIE" I felt long arms hug me from behind as the smell of strong tequila took over. She was too drunk to know what is going on. I flipped around to face her eye-to-eye. "What? I'm so happy you're here! Come let's go dance," I didn't have time to say no when she pulled me deeper inside the crowd forcing us to dance. Cheers came out not liking the attention of eyes on us. "Just look at me and ignore them," Indie demanded swaying my hips with hers. I knew my shorts weren't appropriate for this party.

"Can we go somewhere private?" I whispered in her ear wanting to get insight on the Banks. I know Nikova was her godmother, she should have something for me to use. She nods leading me away from the crowd into a room.

"What is this?" I ask entering the dark place. She smiles flicking the lights on, the sound of water hits me realizing what room we are in. "An indoor pool, why am I not surprised" I groan taking a seat on the bench.

"Our parents make sure we can stay healthy even in winter, so what's up?" She asked sitting in front of me. How did I go about asking her? 'Hey, I know we don't talk family but is your godmother planning anything?' "Xera," She question again taking my hand with hers, I felt her warmth wishing I didn't have to break our trust. I did the second-best thing I knew what to do. I broke down crying having her bring me onto her chest. "What is wrong? Tell me," She spoke softly rubbing my back to calm me down.

"I miss him," I cried out louder having her wipe my tears away to face me. "I need him please," I fake begged, she didn't reply but nodded at my request.

"How about I make him go on a scavenger hunt to find you? Sound like a deal," She smiles trailing me out of my fake sadness. "He loves the chase, deal?"

I nod pulling her into a hug as she left me there. I waited until the door locked to bring myself back to normal. I felt guilt over my body knowing I shouldn't have lied to Indie, the only real friend I have. Stripping out of my shorts and hoodie, I dived into the water waiting on him. Who knew I would soon be under his arms again wanting to never let go?