Chapter 9: Memories & Tears

I've never doubted how unpredictable my life can get

I've never doubted how unpredictable my life can get. And tonight? It's one of those nights when things have changed beyond my imagination. Like a complete three-sixty degree. Okay...it might sound like I'm exaggerating. But I'm not. Not at all.

My mission was to get answers from Carter William. And did I get answers to at least one of my questions? No.

But did I earn Carter's trust in some way? Definitely. Earning his trust was like a first step in the path toward my main goal.

As I said before, talking to Carter felt way too easy, and not uncomfortable. Well, except for when he would ask me questions like why I chose law and how I memorized all the damn acts...blah..blah...blah.

He felt like a breath of fresh air, talking to him and his friends, especially Quin made me realize how much I was limiting myself recently.

There was a constant smile on my face, from the moment I met him until to right this second. Maybe, we had crossed the stranger's line when he disclosed a tiny piece of information about his family. And that was exactly what I wanted, for him to cross all lines, to uncover all the secrets about Miguel held so dearly.

And I probably couldn't get anything more from him without coming off suspicious. Because, let's be honest, you don't fucking go around spilling all your secrets to the first random girl you see at the club. No matter how classy the club might be.

And that's why without a second thought I said yes when Carter asked me if I would like to go on a date with him on Monday.

He smiled, "It's a date, then."

"You bet it is, Mr CEO," I whispered in his ear, standing up and grabbing my purse.

I smirked as his eyes widened and he looked at me astonished, " I'm a soon-to-be lawyer, I know what's going around me. Moreover, what kind of a lawyer would I be if I couldn't connect the dots?"

 Moreover, what kind of a lawyer would I be if I couldn't connect the dots?"

"Mom, where's Dad?" I skipped down the stairs in searching for Papa.

My mom started working as an assistant in a nearby law firm last week. Even though she was overqualified for the job, and despite Papa disliking her work as the assistant, she did take the job.