Chapter 7

She thought things would change now. That maybe he wouldn't be such an ass. That maybe he would drop the whole being a jerk act and they could be civil. But boy, was she wrong. He's everywhere. She turns a corner and he's there. She comes out of class, he's there. She goes to work; there he is sitting at one of the booths. Meredith knows he is planning something. It's a matter of time till he actually acts on it.

The suspense was killing her. He always comes up to her. Gives her some snarky comment and then disappears. She just wants it to be over. She's sitting in class, trying to listen but it's impossible when Derek keeps popping up in her mind. Class was already over, and she was still sitting there, book wide open in front of her as she stared into the distance.

"Mer," George startled her from her trance, "Class just finished.

"Oh," Meredith looked around, "Thanks," she grabbed her books and stuffed it into her bag quickly.

"Everything okay?" George asked as they left.

"Of course," she faked a smile, "You... how... how have you been?" she stammered a little as she looked at him.

"We hung out yesterday," George said, confusion mixed in with his voice.

"Right," Meredith laughed, "Sorry, there's a lot on my mind."

"Okay," George said slowly and then changed the subject, "Do you want to grab coffee with me?"

"You don't want to do that," Derek's voice interrupted them, "You say the wrong thing, and she'll pour it all over you," he finally stops behind them.

Meredith squeezed her eyes shut and turned around to face him, "Would you leave me alone?"

"I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to... to... to him," Derek looked at George as he tried to remember his name.

"You don't even know his name," Meredith rolled her eyes.

"Of course I do. Right... buddy?" Derek put an arm around George.

"I... no... you... you don't," George tried to find words.

"Would you stop harassing us freshmen and let us be?"

"I'm talking. Can't three people engage in conversation and not let it be a harassment?" he asked innocently.

"Not when one of those three people is you," Meredith grumbled.

"So, buddy," Derek ignored Meredith, "Why are you with this pain of an ass?"

"Wha- you... you mean Meredith?"

"Yes, who else?"

"You," he replied quickly, "I mean, I'm with you right now, so a person can get the two mixed together quite easily," George said innocently.

Derek shot a dirty look at Meredith as she tried not to burst out laughing.

"You think this is funny?"

"I'm laughing, aren't I?" Meredith got serious again.

Derek let go of George and walked up to Meredith. His eyes never leaving hers. He moved his hand close up to her face, making Meredith tense up immediately. He tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear, and his thumb caressed her cheekbone. Meredith looked down at his hands as she tried not to look scared.

"What are you doing?" Meredith choked out.

"You really do have a pretty face," he said, making Meredith squirm under his touch, "Too bad something bad can happen to it," he gave out a tsking sound, and his fingers caressed her cheeks slightly, his thumb grazing over her lips and he left with a big sigh.