Cindered Shadows: The Fourth House

3rd Person POV

Opening up on a canvas, a mural was being painted out, depicting a massive monastery, multiple banners hung from across the building, signaling a massive celebration taking place in the mural. From above the monastery, a large dragon loomed over the building, watching over it. Along with the dragon, right in the middle of the monastery, a large chalice was surrounded by four saints, all offering their prayers to the goddess.

Narrator: In the Imperial year 185, the construction of Garreg Mach was completed. Saint Seiros held a sacred ritual to honor the occasion. Four saints, known as the Four Apostles, were led to a tranquil place to perform the ritual. They poured their holy essences into the Chalice of Beginnings- a gift from the goddess herself - in hopes of bringing about her second coming. Alas, the Rite of Rising failed...

Following the story of the mural, the Four Apostles all went their separate ways, heading off to disappear into the world. Spreading all over the world, from the lush forests, the ocean, the mountains, and lastly, a hidden town, away from everyone. One by one, all Four Apostles disappeared, never to be heard from again, their legend lost to time...

Narrator: Bearing the blame for the ritual's failure, the Four Apostles left the monastery, all but vanishing from the land. The first sought the lush forest of Adrestia's mountains. The second traversed Fódlan's Fangs, settling on the ocean's salted shores. The third traveled to the mountains, vanishing beneath their lofty peaks. And the fourth faded into shadow in a town untouched by day's light. Lost to history, nothing but legend now remains of the Four Apostles, their offering to the Nabatean chalice, and the goddess who never returned.

Scene Transition

In the present day, at Garreg Mach Monastery, one of the most esteemed Knights of Seiros, Alois was giving his report to the archbishop, Lady Rhea, hoping to deliver her his report on his last mission.

Alois: Excuse me! Sorry to intrude! Please, forgive the disruption, Lady Rhea, but I have that report you asked for.

Rhea: Do not worry yourself, Alois. As it happens, I am presently unoccupied. Please, go on.

Alois: Ah, great! I'll just... Huh? What's that book you've got there?

Rhea: It is a chronicle covering the 995 years since Garreg Mach Monastery's completion.

Alois: Huh! Sounds like a good read!

Rhea: Maintaining the church's records is one of the duties entrusted to all archbishops, myself included. This one states that Saint Seiros ordered the monastery's construction after the end of the War of Heroes. This is a rare and valuable text. Most documents of that era have been lost to time.

Alois: I see, I see... Time aside, we also lost many books in that massive fire twenty-one years ago...

Rhea: Indeed. What was once well documented exists now only in this chronicle. Not least of which is the ceremony commemorating the monastery's completion.

Alois: Interesting! I'll admit, I know the year it took place but not a thing beyond that.

Rhea: That is to be expected, unfortunately. According to this chronicle, the Rite of Rising was held during the ceremony. The intent was to bring about the goddess's rebirth.

Alois: The Rite of Rising, eh? Hm, can't say I've ever heard of that one.

Rhea: I am not surprised. There should be countless records documenting that important ritual. Alas... Today, all we have to go on are fragments of forgotten memories and our own imaginations. One thing is clear... Their wish for the goddess's return was most fervent. Saint Seiros held the ritual along with the Four Apostles: Noa, Chevalier, Timotheos, and Aubin. However, it did not bear fruit, as the goddess did not return to this world... So it is written.