Cindered Shadows: What Lies Beneath

3rd Person POV

After making introductions with the Ashen Wolves, everyone in their party all split up to explore Abyss, leaving Byleth and Cloud alone to survey their surroundings and explore Abyss on their own.

Byleth: We should hear what the residents have to say about this place... And these Ashen Wolves.

Cloud: Right... Stay close to me. We don't know what this place is like.

Byleth: (Grumbles) I can handle myself, thank you very much...

Regardless of whether or not Byleth could take care of herself on her own, the two former mercenaries walked through Abyss, exploring what kind of strange underground city was left buried beneath the monastery. Starting with one of the guards who stood at the front of the main area.

Abysskeeper: Hey, you two. Listen up. I've got something to report. It's about you outsiders. Actually... Guess I shouldn't bother reporting you to yourself. The Ashen Wolves may seem tough, but they're harmless. Honestly? Things can get pretty boring down here. But here's a little piece of wisdom from me to you- boredom's a luxury. Trust me. I know these things.

Cloud: Hmm... Boredom's good, huh. We'll see about that...

Looking back, there was a small opening that led to a massive library, heading in the library, the two professors found Lindhart looking through the massive collection of books, trying to find whatever kind of history and unknown knowledge he could find in this new library he could spend the rest of his days in.

Linhardt: Oh. Hello, Professors. Have you two seen this library of theirs? It's completely different from the one in the monastery. And their collection is amazing. There are forgeries and banned books. Legends, spells, and heresies. Doubt I'll catch a single wink tonight.

Byleth: You staying awake for a whole night? I'll believe that when I see it.

Patting Lindhart on the back and allowing him to get back to his new collection of books to look over, the two professors leave the sleepy scholar to continue his exploration and head out to continue exploring Abyss, ending up bumping into a female rogue who was brandishing her dagger while glancing over at Yuri as he made his way through the halls.

Rogue: Hm. (To Byleth) You're quite a fetching lady. (Turns to Cloud) And you're quite a strapping fellow... But even both of your looks don't compete with the likes of Yuri. Don't let that pretty face of his fool you, though... He's a rogue, through and through. Even so, the people of Abyss trust him. He may be a scoundrel, but he's our scoundrel.

Cloud: (Grumbles) Scoundrel indeed...

With Byleth choosing to give Cloud a little side-eyed glare for his comment about Yuri, the two mercenaries made their way further down the side where they found a small bar area where several rogues were enjoying the company of their friends. But as for the actual drinks themselves... Not so much.

Rogue: (To Cloud) Want a drink? Course you don't. It's all terrible down here... Nobody important enough to carry the good stuff wants to come underground to sell it to us. It's a shame. Just once I'd like to taste something worthy of a noble.

Cloud: (Grabs a drink) Hm... (Drinks some) Ugh... Yeah, no kidding. This is terrible. (Mumbles as he heads out) Tifa would definitely have a hard time selling this crap...

Heading out of the bar, the two professors ended up bumping into a young little girl who was playing with a couple of stray cats that wandered up to her. Once the two professors walked up to the girl and the cats, several of the cats nuzzled up next to Byleth, which caused the girl to look to them to see what the two mercenaries could figure out about a problem she was having.