Cindered Shadows: Rite of Rising

3rd Person POV

After the battle in the colosseum the other day, Byleth had made her way over to the classroom in Abyss. There, Aelfric was looking over some of his notes, stopping once Byleth entered, with a look on her face that showed that she wanted to know something important, the information that Aelfric had, who Byleth's parents really were.

Aelfric: Ah, Professor. To what do I owe this pleasure?

Byleth: I want to hear more about my parents.

Aelfric: Ah, yes, of course you do. I will gladly tell you all that I know. Where to begin... If you have something particular in mind, please ask and I shall answer as best I can.

Byleth: Can you... Tell me about my mother...?

Aelfric: Kind. And wise. I would often see her in the library, her nose always buried in a book.

Byleth: What was my father like back then?

Aelfric: Jeralt was... Very much then as he is now. His knights would have done just about anything for him. Whenever he had time to spare, he would instruct the children of the monastery in combat and tactics. Just like those wide-eyed youngsters, your mother and I made a hero of him in our minds. When I learned that Jeralt and Sitri were to be married, I was quite surprised. Back then, Jeralt was something of a mentor to me. As for Sitri... She found it difficult to express her emotions. It was only when she was gazing at Jeralt that I ever saw her smile... A smile that rivaled the very sun. His tales of the outside world must have seemed like a lifeline for one as frail and guarded as she.

Byleth: The outside world? Frail?

Aelfric: Indeed. She lacked the strength to travel beyond the monastery. The only souls she ever spoke with were a select few within the monastery walls. I can picture it now, the stories he told her... His striking words and his boisterous laugh. Listening to him must have given her a great deal of hope. As for me, I could never have become like Jeralt, as much as I wished for it.

Byleth: You wanted to be like him?

Aelfric: Ah, I suppose I did. He would tell stories from a century ago as though he had lived them himself. No matter how fervently one studies the stories of old, that is no easy task. Professor, you traveled with Jeralt before coming here. You must have seen a great many things, yes? Forgive me for overstepping, but do you not regret forgoing your travels to take up residence here?

Byleth: No... I enjoy my work here. I don't think I'd trade it for the world.

Aelfric: Heh heh, well then! I suppose I have no choice but to assist you as best I can. To shape young minds must afford you a unique perspective on the world. I am certain my unsolicited advice is nothing but a nuisance, but please hear me out... It is my hope that you will live a full life- experiencing the world, fostering strong relationships with people. Do so for dear Sitri, whose wish to experience such things shall regretfully never be granted.

Byleth: That's why you asked me and Brother to teach the Ashen Wolves?

Aelfric: I cannot deny it. It is my own stubborn notion. One that Her Grace will likely not think kindly of. Beyond my personal motive, I believe that you alone can guide my flock to even greater heights. Same with your brother. And perhaps you two will learn from them as well. Ah, but I have taken enough of your precious time. Know that I am here for you, always.

Bowing, Byleth turned away and started making her way back out to the main halls of Abyss, however, as she walked away, Byleth failed to notice that Cloud was hiding just behind the corner, listening in on their whole conversation, learning about Jeralt and Sitri's past. With that, Cloud calmly walked off, heading in another direction to avoid drawing suspicion to himself, waiting for when it would be time to head out once more.