Chapter 2x01: Going back to the source of the mess

(December 31st. Song Covey's household. Dinner time. 6 people around the table sharing food, their voices cannot be understood. 1 person is visibly absent. Close-up to Kitty's face. Kitty is hearing an inaudible voice not looking at anyone. Someone slaps their fingers in front of her face.)

PETER: Earth calling Kitty. Are you there? (Speaks with laughter in his voice, looking around the table for an accomplice who's noticed what he is seeing)

KITTY: (Shakes her head, coming back to reality.) Sorry. I was distracted. What did I miss? 

MARGOT: Were you? (Asks, rhetorically)  We didn't realize. (Smiles at her, tring to keep her laughter to herself)

TRINA: I think she's thinking about someone. (Speaks, looking at the man beside her)

DAN: I think she's thinking about more than someone.

KITTY: Dad, stop, please. (Wants to hide herself under the table, but tries to play it cool). Can you pass me the potatoes? (Asks to the man at her right)

PETER: Sure. (Tries to hide a smile and plays along) So, are you excited for the new semester?

KITTY: I am. I cannot wait to come back. (Trying to seem calm and collected)

KITTY (Off): Okay, maybe that's not completely true, but I'm not going to tell him that.

MARGOT: I'm so excited for you. I should have gone too when I was your age. It would have been really fun.

KITTY (Off): Fun if you don't go after you broke up with your boyfriend, end up crushing on a girl with a girlfriend and have your enemy and roommate confess to you on an airplane with no way out.

KEVIN: But we still can go some day if you want to. (Smiles and puts an arm across Margot's shoulders)

MARGOT: Babe, do you remember that I have already been there? 

(Kitty doesn't want to keep listening to them. Sighs, stands up and grabs something that looks empty from the table)

KITTY: I'll go grab some dessert (Turns around, not waiting for anyone's response)

(Kitchen. Kitty leaves the plate on the table. The dining room table can be seen behind her back. Sighs longer than before. Doesn't realize someone's by her side a few seconds later)

LARA JEAN: Hey, Kitty. Are you okay? (Leaves another plate on the table. Looks worried at her sister)

KITTY: (Tries to give her a smile) Yes, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be? (Her words try to convey a happy emotion) I'm home. You're home. We're all home and it's New Year's Eve. Why wouldn't I be fine? 

LARA JEAN: Because I can see through your eyes and you're not fine. And I want you to tell me what it is before I can assume things.

KITTY: (Sighs and turns to look at her sister) Why do you have to see through me like this?

LARA JEAN: (Shrugs and gives her a little smile) You're my little sister. It's my job. (Looks behind her for a couple of seconds and turns her head to her sister) Come. (Grabs her hand and walks through the house)

(Lara Jean's bedroom. A full suitcase is on top of the bed, ready for a trip. Lara Jean opens the door and Kitty and her walk in. She closes behind her. Both sit on the bed, turned towards each other)