𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

10 - hate you so

THE RESTAURANT TOJI LEADS YOU INTO is completely empty, only one staff member stands to the side. He didn't make eye contact with you or Toji. The lights were dim and lit candles were scattered across the empty tables. Toji pulls out one of the chairs from the middle table for you to sit down. He takes his seat and you busy yourself by looking at the menu, in complete silence. Toji stares at you, making it even more uncomfortable.

Sure, you've had dinner with him multiple times but this one felt so much more.. intimate than those which ended in you escaping to your room until morning. There was no escaping tonight.

"Do you already know what you want?" you ask without looking up since he insisted on being obvious, and you would as well.

Toji doesn't get embarrassed, he only hums in agreement. "I always know what I want."

That makes your eyes snap to his, he hadn't stopped looking and by the look in his eyes, you didn't know if you were still talking about food. Once again, your neck heats at the attention and you fight with yourself to break the eye contact. But you don't and instead lean toward, "Which is?" you ask.

"You'll know soon enough," he tells you before raising his hand to call over the waiter who hadn't moved. After ordering drinks, Toji takes the liberty of ordering an appetizer you've never heard of and when the waiter leaves, silence is back.

Toji was right, you did like to pretend he didn't exist most of the time. Normally that wasn't a problem but if he was trying to be a better quote-unquote husband, then maybe you should be getting to know this Toji, not the one he was before.

Aren't they the same?

Of course, he hadn't actually changed in that short amount of time but the attempt was enough for you since you quite literally had nothing, besides yourself to lose. But, Toji already had that in the palm of his hand as well.

Before you have a chance to make conversation, Toji speaks. "Your father contacted me,"

That one sentence was enough to make you think the worst but you try your best to not jump to conclusions. "And?" you question. After Toji went away your father never mentioned his name again, no one else ever mentioned him either which you had expected, except you didn't know what he did to deserve that harsh treatment. And knowing your father is a hardheaded man, he must really be desperate if he's once again in contact with Toji for the sake of you, it was making you anxious about his plans.

"He offered ten million for you." The number makes your throat close immediately and you brace yourself for the heartbreaking news that was you going back to the loving arms of your parents. Part of you wanted to throw your water in Toji's face because he knew you could never offer that much to him and sadly, Toji's first love is money.