𝐗𝐈. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⋆✦⋆ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔤𝔦𝔣𝔱 𝔬𝔣 𝔩𝔦𝔣𝔢, 𝔪𝔢𝔯𝔠𝔶, 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔩𝔬𝔳𝔢; 𝔤𝔦𝔳𝔢𝔫 𝔱𝔬 𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥 𝔟𝔶 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔩𝔬𝔯𝔡. 𝔉𝔬𝔯 𝔥𝔲𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔰 𝔱𝔬 𝔟𝔞𝔰𝔨 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔤𝔩𝔬𝔯𝔶 𝔬𝔣 𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔩𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱.

𝔅𝔲𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔲𝔯𝔰𝔢 𝔬𝔣 𝔡𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔥, 𝔯𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢, 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔢𝔳𝔦𝔩; 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔠𝔢𝔡 𝔲𝔭𝔬𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔤𝔯𝔦𝔪 𝔰𝔱𝔬𝔫𝔢𝔰 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔣𝔬𝔲𝔫𝔡 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔪𝔬𝔰𝔱 𝔲𝔫𝔥𝔬𝔩𝔶 𝔬𝔣 𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡𝔰.

𝔅𝔲𝔱 𝔴𝔥𝔢𝔫 𝔤𝔬𝔡 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔏𝔲𝔠𝔦𝔣𝔢𝔯 𝔪𝔢𝔢𝔱 𝔥𝔢𝔞𝔡 𝔱𝔬 𝔥𝔢𝔞𝔡, 𝔰𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤, 𝔰𝔲𝔭𝔢𝔯𝔫𝔞𝔱𝔲𝔯𝔞𝔩 𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔭𝔢𝔫𝔰.

𝔖𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤, 𝔩𝔦𝔨𝔢 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔴𝔞𝔩𝔨𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔡𝔢𝔞𝔡.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⋆✦⋆ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Puddles of pinot noir and chips of wine glass had painted the kitchen floor. Mother in rage, shattered and destroyed the kitchen utensils. "Mother, calm down-" Cutting off Megumi, raising her voice. "Calm down?!- I'm going to ask you both again, what were you doing last night ?" Meimei had questioned, which sounded more like a demand. 

You and Megumi had side-eyed each other, your fingers twisting behind your back, and his feet tapping the tiled floor out of nervousness. "Look at me-". your mother said, pointing her sharp baby blue nails in yall's faces. You took the initiative and walked forward. Her eyes are like acid and your heart in a relay race. "Mother I-" 

[name] Open the door". 

The three of you froze, eyes wide and skin blank. 

MeiMei had turned her head and silenced herself to listen more closely. "Umi is the TV in the library still on?" her eyes traveled to Megumi as her head stayed in place. He shook his head in a very slow motion. Your mother's eyes slowly moved in your direction, as she raised an eyebrow.  "[name], what are you looking at?" she asked, and with no response, you kept your eyes on the back door. "Mom, why are there two man-sized ditches in the dirt?".  you asked in a whispering tone. "What?" Your mother said confused, walking over to the back windows and squinting to see through the fog of dusk. The sun had barely kissed the horizon for a new day, yet the soil was raising in humidity. 

"But that's where I buried-" she fell short of her words, as you and Megumi walked up to the window as well. "Buried?" Megumi had asked, a whimper in his voice. "Detective Yuji and Toji-".

"Turn off the lights [name]".

"No, why the hell would I turn off the lights after seeing-" you turned, both your mother and brother's mouths covered by their hands, and worrisome dripping from their face. "That wasn't me". Megumi whispered. Slowly and almost undetected he pointed towards the front door, down the main hallway, and past the library. Fog and the ring crickets fill the house, while the front door slowly opens. 

Your eyes rise, noticing the flickering candles in the chandelier. 

You turned your head quickly, looking towards your mother. "Grab the flash li-" Your mother quickly grabbed your head, turning it back towards the door where graveyard blue light had filled the entryway. The large bare-skinned foot of a man had stood statued in the doorway, the rest of his body not visible. "Don't move [name], keep your eyes on the door". she whispered, and pores of sweat moved down your face. 

"Why-" the chandelier began to flicker once more. "No. no. no-". Megumi pleaded with the lights, wishing for the best. But the candles dimmed, and with a gust of wind danced through and smothered the flames. The whole house is now pitch black. "Mom? I can't feel you?..take my hand". you whispered, "Yea, I got you, follow me, let's go get the lighter. Megumi, hold onto your sister". Your mother was holding on tight to your palm, while Megumi had held the other tight. 

Leading you up the stairs, you simply trusted your mother's sense of direction, turning through halls and rooms. Suddenly, the sounds of quick running and large demonic steps rumbled through the house. Causing you to hyperventilate and grab on top of your mother's arm and reach out for more security. 

Meimei sped up her pace and slammed the door in the direction of the heavy sound. You sighed a sigh of pure relief. "Mom what's going on-" 

"[name]! why did you run upstairs? We found the light!" the voice of your mother echoed, while the light of the candles poured from under the doorway. 

Your silence accompanied the room, slowly turning to face the hand linked to yours.  pale, green, and torn. The light from the candle seeping from the doorway had been enough to see in front of you, standing heavy in this empty room of darkness, showing the face on both sides of your small form. Looking down with a blank slate and blooded jaw. 

Detective Yuji and your step-father Toji stood lifeless. 

"Turn off the light". 

Before a word had left your mouth, the candle's aura had vanished. 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⋆✦⋆ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯