Chapter 6 - The Address

By the time Alhaitham woke up, Kaveh was already out of the room. He was quite surprised because Kaveh surely isn't a morning person.
He went to check if he's in kitchen or his room but the architect was nowhere to be found. He must have left already... It doesn't really matter anyways, does it?
Alhaitham thought to himself and started getting ready to leave as well. It was going to be difficult day since there was a mission he must attend and the preparations are reaching their end. He hopes everything will go smooth but there's no certainty...

~•~

Kaveh was shaking his leg nervously while sitting on a bench next to the elevator leading into Grand Sages office. Today was an important day, he finally decided to get a stable job again, after drowning himself in alcohol for months, doing only some minor projects. He finnaly decided to face the reality, the life, maybe thanks to the changes that have been happening to him in the past few days.

"Kaveh of Kshahrewar." The Grand Sage was sitting on a huge chair, with a strict but somehow hideous grin on his face.
"What made you change your mind about Akademiya, dear ex-student of ours?," Sage asked,  signalising Kaveh to sit down as well.
"I realised I would have a chance to work on some bigger projects again," he replied. It was true, he knew he wouldn't find himself satisfied with those small commissions he would get from Lambad or his customers and friends. But he also needed more money because on top of everything he even has to pay the rent now...

"You're so lucky you have a quite good reputation already and that we are in need of another architect these days... Tomorrow you are going to receive a letter with instructions, who your higher-ups will be and your first project, for us to see if you are worthy the position. Just write down an address so we can deliver it into a right place."
Kaveh picked up the pen but froze for a moment. He absolutely forget about that thing. Nobody can know he's staying at Alhaithams!
He ended up writing Lambads address instead, now he just needs to let him know about it. He quickly thanked the Grand Sage and disappeared from Akademiya, spotting Alhaitham on his way out. He was reading some book in the library so Kaveh was sure he didn't even notice him.

After some time he finally got to the tavern, sitting at his favorite stool at the bar, greeting his old friend.
"Alhaitham didn't kick you out already, did he?," Lambad said jokingly.
"No, it's just that you might receive a letter with my name tomorrow... I'm applying for a stable job and I couldn't write down Alhaithams address, it would be weird. You know people."
"Alright, I'll keep it for myself if you think so. Anyway, why didn't you apply sooner? Now, would you like a little drink to celebrate your job and new home? I know you do," Lambad smiled kindly and passed Kaveh a shot of whiskey.
"A fool would refuse such an offer!," Kaveh grinned and took the glass.

~•~

It was evening already and Kaveh was heading back. He walked trough streets, listening quietly to people in the windows who laugh, giggle and tell stories to each other. A sad smile formed on Kavehs lips. It was quite some time since he felt those emotions. He felt guilty every time he wanted to laugh. Because somebody couldn't. The blonde sighed heavily as he continued the patch leading to Alhaithams apartment. As the time went by he started thinking again. What should I do now? How does a person live a happy life?  But he knew no happiness is waiting for him in the apartment. 

He reached for his key but then realised he left it inside since he was in hurry in the morning. He sighed once again as he knocked on the door, swalloving all the pride he had left. How humiliating! He thought to himself. The door opened and he met Alhaithams probing gaze.

"You smell like alcohol," Alhaitham pointed out and moved his head to side to indicate Kaveh to go inside already. Kaveh just let out an angry sigh and disappeared into his room, sitting on the floor next to his drawers and started searching for something. Alhaitham just watched the whole process from the doorframe, rolling his eyes amusingly.

"What exactly are you searching for?," Alhaitham spoke after a while of silence.

"Leave me alone!," Kaveh snapped after him.

"Loosing your temper already? You just got home...," the silver-haired continued teasingly, slowly making his way trough the room.

Kaveh turned his head and gave his roommate an angry gaze.

"Hey! Back off, what made you think you can go into my room whenever you want?!"

Alhaitham just smiled. "This is my house after all, isn't it? Be glad I took you in, you wouldn't be able to get yourself a proper job otherwise. I saw you in Akademiya today and even if I didn't you know I'm in charge of handling all the job applies and other letters...how bold of you, Light of Kshahrewar."

The blonde looked at him again, visibly surprised, but didn't say a thing about it.

"Why don't you just leave,?" Kaveh snapped again.

"Why don't you leave instead? Oh, you don't have anywhere else to go, I forgot. Lambad wouldn't let you live in the tavern again, you are such a pain in the ass anyway."

Silence.

"I'm looking for some spare papers if that satisfies your curious ass," Kaveh answered quietly, he didn't have energy to argue anymore.

"Oh, I thought you're looking for your key you know, I'm used to keep them in the corridor and not on the kitchen table," Alhaitham tossed said key in Kavehs direction before leaving the room, closing door behind him.

"I hate you!," the blonde shouted, knowing well that the other can still hear him.

At that moment Kaveh hugged his legs, with his forehead resting on his knees, feeling tears in the corners of his eyes. 

"Don't cry, you don't have a good reason to, don't be so fucking emotional, you damn idiot," he whispered to himself before he catched himself crying for real. The truth was he cannot stand any kind of argue, it's hurting him on the inside... At these time he just feels like a burden, somebody who just bother people by his existence. How easy their life would be without him to cause problems? Mother, father, even Alhaitham... I'm sorry I failed you.