Chapter 9 - Thoughts

Kaveh returned about three hours later, greeting his roommate as he was closing the door. Alhaitham sat behind the dining table with a questioning look on his face and his arms crossed. And holding a book of course.

"You told me you'll be right back if I remember correctly? I was in good enough mood to wait with the meal until you return but your loss I guess..."
"Oh no, I was trying to return as fast as possible but something very important came up..."
"Nilou is something to you?"
"Very funny. Wait, how do you even know?!"
"I saw you two chatting near Akademiya, I went there for some paperwork I forgot to take with me yesterday and I hoped you'd be back by the time I return... But you had other plans I guess, now your lunch is cold," Alhaitham explained, going to the other room to get some progress on the mentioned work. He just wanted to be nice since he remembered very well Kaveh cried yesterday but maybe he just wasted his time in the end. He has lots of friends for sure that can make his mood better after all...

~•~

Kaveh on the other hand just survived three hours with the most annoying person in Teyvat he didn't even know Nilou was. After several minutes of begging he gave up and told her everything about his roommate. Even his name. So Nilou wouldn't stop telling Kaveh how lucky he is because he's so hot and stuff and when they was about to part an hour later he with all his honesty confessed something he was thinking about for some time now.

"Nilou, I have just one last thing I want to say to you... lately I'm not sure if I really hate him that much. I guess he just wants to be nice but in my opinion it's too good to be true and..."
"Aww, so you actually like him, I could totally see it in your eyes Kav! He's such a lucky guy~"
"Can I finish the sentence please?"
"..."
"I know it's not mutual and I think I just want to forget about this. It has no future anyway, he's surely straight as line after all."
"You sure? But if you really really insist on loosing those thoughts what about going somewhere new to clear your mind? I heard there'll be an excursion to investigate some ancient ruins soon so maybe you could tag along~," Nilou suggested and Kaveh, although hesitantly, nodded. Maybe being away from him for a while would be good for both of them.

When he returned home and was left alone in the kitchen he as well went to mind his own stuff, leaving the food on the table. Why does Alhaitham act so childish today? Send help, I think they swapped him with someone else while I was awayyy.

Kaveh was told that the excursion is taking place exactly a month from today so he decided to slowly start packing blank papers and some things he knew he could forget if he packed just day before the trip because he knows himself, right? He couldn't forget few pencils of course. Once he was done with packing those things he laid down on the bed, burying himself in the soft mattress as always. It was nice of Alhaitham to select this one, he as a little bit picky person in heart wouldn't choose better.
Was it intentional? No, that's so not Alhaitham-like at all.

So he stared on the ceiling for several minutes with multiple thoughts on his mind, most of them revolving around Alhaitham of course. He knew Alhaitham definitely knows about his preferences since they knew each other quite well when they were younger. So why doesn't he act all distant around him? Isn't he disgusted or something? If he did feel the same would he show him somehow? Kaveh sighed at the thought of his current situation. It was getting clearer every minute, every single second. He really had catched unrequited feelings for his absolutely unromantic, boring roommate and come to think of it, it was already a while. How absurd.

~•~

Even though Alhaitham tried to keep his distance he couldn't bring himself to do so, which actually surprised him in a bad way. His mind couldn't stay focused and his thoughts were always returning back to person he didn't thought he will see ever again just few months ago. Something just seemed to drag him back to Kaveh everywhere he went, like some kind of magnet. It was so strange for him to experience something like this but as always he still managed to keep his stone mask on.

As he did himself his early morning coffee he sat down onto one of his couches, getting comfy for a moment before heading to the Akademiya as any other day. As he was resting and slowly sipping dark liquid from his cup and he even got to see daily theater today (aka Kaveh getting up from bed, realising he's late again).

It's been four weeks since he got his job at the Akademiya back and since then he was always in rush every single morning. It seems he's not going to learn he has to get up a little bit earlier...
In honor of this life-changing moment of saying bye to his unemployed days (months to be accurate) he decided to treat his friends Tighnari and Cyno and of course Alhaitham to Lambads tavern this weekend, probably to show them he can finally afford it. It didn't bother the scribe as long as his roommate manages to pay his rent at the end of the month.
Alhaitham knew about Cynos existence since their student days but he got to better know him through Tighnari only just recently. All he knew now was that he had a card obsession, weird sense of humor and he recently became Tighnaris boyfriend.

Alhaitham was about to leave and a mischievous thought crossed his mind as he looked at the keys which was surprisingly enough put inside a bowl, where they actually belong.

~•~

After a really long day of accepting commissions and working on some renewal projects and thinking about his roommate Kaveh finally got home. But even after going through each one of his pockets he just couldn't find his keys. He knew very well who was behind this so he started mumbling angrily to himself as he sat on the stairs, waiting for the house owner to came home. How embarrassing.

The sky was becoming darker and darker and there was no sign of Alhaitham. Kaveh was catching some sleep because as usual he didn't sleep too long last night. It took a while for scribe to return home but he was carrying few bottles of wine so the crime might be forgotten if he shares some of it with the blonde. Kaveh barely heard the sound of door unlocking since he was still half asleep. His roommate put the alcohol on the counter and when he heard no steps following him inside he went back to the door.

"Hey, wake up," he whispered right to his ear to tease him a little.
"Hm? Ah, YOU!," Kaveh was wide awake now, grabbing his roommates shirt as he started to yell at him about those awful jokes and his personal rights. Alhaitham did his best not to smile but it was difficult since he already treated himself to a few drinks at the tavern. Even though he tried very hard he couldn't help but to grin a little. Kaveh face suddenly got redder and he stepped back from him, not saying anything.

"Wanna taste this strawberry wine with me? Please? As an apology?," Alhaitham opened the first of three bottles.
"What?! You can't buy me like that! But sure, why not."

_________
Guys, I'm still alive <3