4.

Elizabeth (2021)

Elizabeth's leg bounces under her desk with anxiety as she holds her head in her hands; she wipes her eyes and straightens her pencil skirt as she hears the front door close. Her eyes dagger at the door as Julia walks in with a smile plastered on her face.

"Hello, beautiful" She smiles at her wife, kissing her forehead and looking down at her blank desktop, "any luck?"

Elizabeth slumps back in her chair, shaking her head no while she reaches out to grab the picture of her and Van that sat stuffed under a pile of photos; looking up at Julia, she sighs, "No, but that reported came by that Tai was talking about.."

"Well?"

Elizabeth turns toward Julia, confusion written on her face, "well, what? You expected me to spill my story?"

"That's not it, Beth; you can barely write your story. Maybe it's time someone else tries to."

"I can't even look at you right now" Elizabeth shakes her head, throwing her hands on her desk to close her computer as she begins to get up to walk away.

"Beth – You've barely even told me what happened in those woods; you sugar-coated it to spare yourself the hurt you experienced. Maybe it's time to be more honest with yourself that what happened was real." Julia strides towards her reaching out to touch her tear-stained cheek, "You went through an incredible ordeal; it made you the strong, fearless woman you are today — that, you are the woman I fell in love with, babe."

Elizabeth nods, her eyes building up with tears as she lets out an uneven sigh before Julia grabs her shaky hands, "I need to write this story myself, Jul." Julia nods, reasoning with her wife before pulling her into a hug.

"Im here– Im not going anywhere, okay?"

Elizabeth (1994)

As the day concludes, Elizabeth throws her varsity jacket over her shoulder and walks toward Nat, Lottie, Shauna, and Taissa, who all stand talking in a circle in the school courtyard.

"This is what we've been working for all season. You want to take that chance?" Taissa says sternly towards Nat as she rolls her eyes at her curly-headed teammate.

"Yeah, 'cause I'm not a fucking asshole!" Nat snaps back, lunging forward.

"Woah," Elizabeth steps between the two, "what are you guys talking about?"

" Butt out, Eliza, the last thing I need is you running your mouth," Tai snaps, looking down at the girl before she looks at Nat for answers.

"Allie," Nat sighs, shaking her head.

"What about her?"

"Are we all going to forget about states? She choked!" Tai growls, putting her hands on her hips.

"She's a freshman, Tai," Shauna sighs.

"She's a liability!"

Elizabeth glances in Shauna's direction with uncertainty in her eyes.

"Look, I know she sucks, but Tai, where are you going with this." Eliza sighs, putting her hand on her hip; the others look at Taissa with a go on tell her look.

"She can't fuck up if she doesn't get the ball," Taissa starts before Shauna cuts in,

"So we'll be one man down at nationals– I don't know, T, we need everyone hands on deck– This doesn't feel right?"

"It's bullshit!"

"Oh yeah? Then what's your plan?" Taissa looks towards Nat again past Elizabeth's shoulder, which is the only thing separating them.