8.

𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭, 𝐰𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐖𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐜𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐖𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐚𝐛𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐛𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐞𝐬

𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡
𝐖𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐜𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐬
𝐖𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐚𝐛𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐛𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐞𝐬

Elizabeth (1994)

Elizabeth's leg bounces eagerly as the pain is begging to get to her; naturally, she puts a hand out to touch Jackie softly, "Jack.. do you have any medication..." she sighs, catching the attention of the group as they sit around the fire.

"Here, Eliza.." Lottie holds a pill bottle out, "it won't take it away entirely, but it will help", she gives her a small smile as the rest of the group looks at the sickly-looking girl.

"Here, Eliza.." Van offered some corn nuts so she didn't have to take the pill alone.

"I'm sure the plane has an emergency transmitter that is sending out a distress signal." Shauna begins looking around the group, "I'm sure they will be here to rescue us by morning."

"Maybe we should start rationing -- saving the food," Jackie says, looking up at Van, who went back to sit across from her as she crunched on corn nuts. Her comment earned a glare from the redhead.

"You want to save the corn nuts?" Van snapped, making Elizabeth flinch at her tone, confusing the girl.

Silence fills the circle as the teens look amongst each other.

"You okay, Laura Lee?" Taissa questioned, leaning towards the teary eyes blonde.

"This is all my fault." she sniffles. "I did something really bad." The group looked at the girl questioningly as she continued, "I kept screwing up in my piano lesson last week. Mrs. Brophy kept yelling at me. 'Sharp. F sharp. F sharp.'"

Without a word, she continued, "I just... I couldn't take it anymore. So I called her a bad word." She sniffles, "Just in my head, but... God heard me."

"Laura, I'm sure--" Elizabeth started before she was cut off.

" I called her a cunt!" Laura Lee cried, facing the group, before they all let out a belly full laugh.

"I steal shitty clothes from T.J. Maxx. What?" She smiles, earning a look from her sister, "I return them, and I get the credit that I never use, and I have thousands of dollars in T.J. bucks." Jackie laughs as the group around them laughs along.

"what about you guys?" Jackie nods toward Elizabeth and Shauna as they look at each other, "Any secrets big enough to crash a goddamn plane?

Elizabeth swallowed hard before looking up to catch Vans' glace before looking away quickly. The laughter is cut off by a heavy scream making the group jump.

"what the FUCK, Misty?" The group stands over the blonde girl in terror as she holds a hot iron to Coach Bens's leg.

"I had to stop the bleeding for good," She replies, not looking at the group as she stares at the wound.

--

Elizabeth tosses and turns, pulling at the strings of her yellowjackets hoodie as she tries to be quiet as everyone's asleep.

"Can't sleep?" A soft voice whispers as they walk over and sit next to her; turning, she meets a pair of icy blue orbs and shakes her head.

"I'm afraid to see the things that happen when I close my eyes," Elizabeth whispers as Van lays down next to her, dripping her varsity jacket over her legs. "You never told us a sin," she says, looking down to pick at her nails nervously. "At Laura Lee's little confession session earlier—you never told us one of your secrets.

"I was the one who stole the soccer net last year and put it in the gym as a prank -- and I never stepped in when the principal put the blame on the freshmen, " Van smirks, "I also paid Grizz Kennedy fifteen dollars to ask a girl on a date for me because I was way too nervous-- though she ended up saying no and dating Gizz.. and I lost fifteen bucks.." Van chuckles, making Elizabeth let out a light-hearted laugh.

"You didn't! Lindsey Murphy? I did not see that as you're type"

"Oh, so now you're the expert of types? Let's talk about Jet Armstrong? Really!"

"That was all, Jackie!" Elizabeth smiles, pointing at the girl in defense.

Van smiles, shaking her head before a comfortable silence grows between them... "Your turn..." she says, keeping her gaze fixed on the ground.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Elizabeth smirks, earning a playful glare from Van. Then falls silent herself.

Van knew she didn't say anything during it?

Five seconds. Ten? Elizabeth doesn't count.

"I thought I lost you today." She blurts.

"That's not a confess—" Van stops her complaint as the meaning between the lines is comprehended. It's the same affection she stalled her own speaking of. She lifts her gaze from the floor, forces Elizabeths to meet it, and then smiles the kind of smile that says she understands some sentiments don't yet leave either of them naturally.   

Elizabeth (2021)

"Elizabeth," Julia mumbles as the ringing floods her Elizabeths ears; shaking her head from a daze, she looks up to her wife, "This is for you" She extends a hand towards her handing her the home phone shakily Elizabeth takes it and nods a  'thank you' to Julia as she walks out.

"Hello?"

"Well, if I live in breath, Elizabeth Taylor," a cold voice chuckles on the other end, making the blood drain from her face.

"Who is this.." Elizabeth questioned, even though she knew exactly who it was.

"C'mon, kid, how could you forget me -- You were so easy to find.."

"What do you want, Misty.."

.....