─ 𝐨𝐧𝐞.

*ೃ༄𝐋𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐋𝐄𝐓 𝐃𝐈𝐄, 𝐁𝐀𝐁𝐘

*ೃ𝐋𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐋𝐄𝐓 𝐃𝐈𝐄, 𝐁𝐀𝐁𝐘

1985

The glimmering full moon shone down onto the two teenagers perched up on the roof of the house like a couple of songbirds—one of them still stuck at the same old age of eighteen while the other having recently turned the same age and ready for adventure. Magdalena reminded herself that she'd be turning nineteen in glorious 1986 which would be coming around next year. Another birthday she'd have to spend with her dad and Lulu—a matter of fact, the final birthday she'd be spending in Hawkins. The almost frigid nightly winds caressed Magdalena's already rosy cheeks and red nose, as she made sure to huddle closer to Lulu under their shared beige cashmere blanket.

The brunette's shaky hand brought her halfway burnt-out cigarette up to her lips and inhaled a long drag which even took Lulu by surprise seeing as she let out a short-lived laugh of disbelief. Even just Lulu's heartfelt, squeaky laughter managed to soothe Magdalena's soul and simply take away all her issues for just one minute. The May girl took pleasure in knowing she convinced her best friend to stay until after midnight when Lulu came around to drop her bunny off after caring for the little creature for almost three months in the wake of the brunette's absence. Sunny the Bunny still maintained her physical characteristics of looking completely adorable and Magdalena made sure to show her adoration by gently taking the rabbit into her arms and rewarding her with equally tender pets.

And now that Sunny was settled into her cage, getting used to the notable essence of Magdalena's room, the two teenage girls had no issue with using a neighbor's metal ladder to climb onto the roof of the May residence and go through almost half a pack of cigarettes in less than two hours. A new record from them honestly. Magdalena exhaled the nicotine cloud building up in her lungs and proceeded to turn her head in the direction of her friend curled up in their shared blanket. Those green-ish/blue-ish eyes met dark chocolate-hued ones and two small smiles appeared on both of their faces. From Lulu's perspective, having her best friend return to their hometown after something so traumatic, well, she thought Magdalena had the biggest feminine balls in history.

Magdalena May had more bravery built into her than ten guys when it came down to it, although, in a situation like this, Magdalena knew it wasn't bravery that brought her back to Hawkins. It was an obligation. An obligation she'd made in elementary school about graduating high school and then going to Florida for college. The latter part of those plans had been crossed out now. College was a waste of time, energy, and most importantly money. Magdalena didn't need that. But she still needed to graduate high school to at least have something of value attached to her name.

On the flip side, as Magdalena continued to stare into her best friend's dusky eyes, she couldn't help but unapologetically cherish them. Lulu Hayashi was a living, breathing work of art strutting around Hawkins, Indiana like it was nothing. She was crafted carefully by some universal powers at birth with her symmetrical face and flawless, porcelain skin. Raven black hair that stopped just below her chin—neatly cut into a French bob with fashionable bangs to match. The Japanese-American girl was the epitome of beauty with her bubbly personality, inventive outfits, and those aforementioned eyes that held a bit of childhood innocence to them sometimes. Magdalena would be lying to herself if she said she didn't have a minor crush on her best friend.