─ 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.

*ೃ༄𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐒

*ೃ𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐒

Ninth grade was the absolute pits for Magdalena May.

She watched her mutual friends turn into drastically different versions of themselves—they all became unbearable, conceited, and vengeful. Except for Lulu. She remained the same throughout all the years she spent with Magdalena. And had it not been for volleyball coming into her life as a last-minute rescue, Magdalena knew she would've gone insane rather quickly due to the hierarchical nature of high school. Back in '83, Magdalena viewed her high school as a jungle—it was either kill or be killed and the brunette chose the former without second guessing. However, that didn't mean she was a bully. Magdalena never purposefully attacked anybody. A provocative reason was needed for the girl to explode and rip them to shreds.

Similarly, volleyball erased those urges to cave someone's face in if they uttered any harmful words. Magdalena stood out from the rest of her teammates. First and foremost, the May girl was one of the few freshmen to make it onto the team that year, and Magdalena played the sport better than all of the other ninth graders combined. The yearbook picture of the team displayed the girl vividly considering she stood in the front row with a black bandana tied securely around her thigh. That was a good luck charm from her uncle sent to her by mail. That bandana remained fastened to her leg during every game religiously for the rest of the school year and the next...and the next one after that.

Even during her current senior year, Magdalena wore the treasured bandana to her volleyball tournaments before winter break. But now, as the brunette was once again climbing up the "rope" made from bedsheets to reach the portal on the ceiling, Magdalena missed her lucky charm. Continuing her ascent, by the time Magdalena poked her head through the hole into the Upside Down, she already felt lightheaded. The dimension despised her. It wanted the young witch to perish in the most agonizing way, but Magdalena had other plans. Her arms ached with each of her movements, plus her bitten wrist was still killing her even though she dumped a half bottle of peroxide on the wound before she left her house.

Although Magdalena's focus was more so on the grimoire tucked into the waistband of her now raggedy bell bottoms so the book wouldn't fall out during her painstaking climb. A bag filled with matches and tea lights was yet again stuck down her pants. Once the Upside Down took its hold on her body, Magdalena fell back first into Eddie's mattress with a troubling groan. She'd never get used to that massive fall. Especially not when all her muscles were aching and crying out for Magdalena to stop exerting herself. But of course, she didn't listen to her body. Without the universe giving Magdalena a chance to relax on the uncomfortable mattress, Lulu pulled her up which gave the poor girl a head rush, leaving her seeing those little black dots in her vision. The young witch drew in deep breaths as she closed her eyes and waited for her brain to catch up.