#6: Fix a Heart (Camila)

My phone buzzed for the millionth time in a minute and I slammed my book shut, realising that my attempt of ignoring it obviously had became a failure. I let out a sigh and reached for the device that buzzed in my hand once again.

You have 7 new messages!

FROM: Mila
"Hey"
"Can you come over?"
"Y/N?"
"You there?"
"Please"
"I need you"
"He broke up with me"

I let out a loud sigh and shook my head before typing the answer.

TO: Mila
"On my way"

In a matter of few minutes, I was driving down the street until I reached the door of Camila's house and knocked politely. The door opened and revealed a heart-warming smile of Camila's mom. She opened her arms and pulled me in for a hug.

"Y/N, mija, I missed you around here. It's been a while."

"I know, it's always good to see you, Sinu", I replied with a smile when I pulled away.

"Come in, she's upstairs", Sinu guided me and I stepped inside the Cabello household and was immediately greeted by the rest of Camila's family.

Her dad, Alejandro, was sitting on the couch and shot me a smile as I waved at him and threw a wink at Sofi, Camila's little sister. I made my way upstairs and pushed the door of Camila's room open. The small figure of my best friend sat on the bed with her back against the headboard and her palms covered her entire face.

"Mila?"

Her head shot in my direction and I barely had time to react before she ran into my arms and held onto me tightly. Her body shook and I heard her sobbing so I wrapped my arms around her and rubbed her back gently.

"Shh, it's okay", I stroked her hair when her head found its way to snuggle in my neck.

When Camila calmed down and pulled away, she grabbed my hand and lead us to the bed. We sat down and I interlaced our fingers as she took a deep breath.

"I haven't heard from him since the tour ended... so this morning I texted him. He didn't reply until half an hour and all he sent was some shit like "I'm sorry I can't do this anymore"."

"Are you serious? He dumped you over a text?"

She nodded slowly before wiping a tear that was making its way down her cheek.

"I can't believe him. I thought we had something...", she sniffled, "he didn't even give me a reason."

"Don't get me wrong... but are you really that surprised?"

Her eyebrows furrowed and I could almost see the slight anger in her eyes as she let go of my hand quickly.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing... just forget I said anything."

"No, I want to know what do you mean 'am I really that surprised'?"

"Okay. How many times did he cheat on you?"

"Y/N--"

"How many times did he hurt you?"

"It has nothing to do with th--"

I rolled my eyes, "God, are you ever going to stop defending him?! How many fucking times did you call me in the middle of the night while you were on tour crying your eyes out because of him? And now you expect me to be shocked because of your break up when he probably doesn't even give a shit?!"

Camila looked down and focused on her lap as if she was embarrassed, but then I noticed the tears that spilled from her eyes onto her thighs. It hurt me to look at her like that, but I knew it was my only opportunity to tell her everything I had been holding back for years.

"We all know what's gonna happen. He's gonna call you in a few days, you'll buy all the shit he'll say to you and the circle's gonna go on and on. For months I've been picking up your pieces Camila, but who's gonna pick up mine?"

She glanced at me again, this time in pure confusion. She shook her head lighty and stared at me "I... I don't understand."

"For fuck's sake!", I said as I stood up in front of her, "Are you really that oblivious to everything I do when I'm with you?!"

I let out a shaky breath before continuing.

"He hurts you, you come to me, I comfort you, you give me a promise you won't be that stupid again, I believe you, you crawl back to him and I end up heart-broken. Every. Single. Time."

Her eyebrows shot up "Heart-br--"

"I am in love with you!" I felt like a huge rock fell off my heart and my own eyes started filling with tears. My voice trembled and revealed all of my emotions.

"I've been in love with you ever since you first spoke to me. It never stopped, not even when you started dating him... I fall in love with you every day, each time even harder."

At this point, I was crying as I looked at Camila who stared at me in disbelief with her puffy eyes.

"I can't do this anymore. Cause I know you're gonna crawl back to him and it's gonna get worse every time. It hurts too much."

I wiped off my tears with my palm, trying to get myself together. Camila still sat on her bed, and I assumed she was trying to find the right words not to hurt me.

"Y/N, I..."

"No, no, please don't say anything. I'm sorry. Call me when you get wiser, okay?"

It hurt. It hurt like hell to leave her in that state, being dumped by her boyfriend and then by her best friend. Maybe it was selfish, but it was all too much. Knowing it's the first and last time I'll be able to do it, I leaned down and lifted her chin up with my finger. I softly pressed my lips against hers and felt my heart breaking. The fireworks I felt were ripping my heart in pieces. I pulled away with excruciating pain in my chest and slowly walked to the door.

"Goodbye Camila."

Tears were spilling down my cheeks uncontrollably as I ran down the stairs, shaking my head when Sinu asked me if anything was wrong. My vision started to get blurry when I got into my car and slammed the door furiously. I ran my fingers through my hair and broke down completely, hitting the steering wheel with so much force my palms became numb. I took a deep breath, composing myself and replaying the previous events in my head.

I did the right thing.

I'm better off without her.

...Right?