1

onika's pov

@beyonce started following you

i stared at the notification in complete confusion. i clicked on the profile and stared at the profile picture. "this tiny ass photo." i grunted then looked down as i read the bio.

🐝
19 | h-town | 🏳️‍🌈

"houston? i don't know any one from out there.. i'm all the way in new york. what?" i was even more confused but didn't fret too much about it. i started scrolling through the page, looking intently at the woman i saw. she had beautiful blonde hair, cute freckles across her face, and the prettiest eyes. i knew i was definitely into girls, but the ones out here are grimy. honestly, they aren't really gay. they just like the idea of it which is irritating as hell. i bit my lip and clicked on a post.

'will you wait for me?' read the caption

i blushed just looking at her. yeah something has got to be wrong with me. i don't even know this girl. i shook my head to shake away my thoughts. i took a glance at her likes and saw that a few people i know knew her so i followed her back.

i tossed my phone to the side and got up for my day. i didn't have anything to do but work which i was happy for. i worked at a retail store, michael kors to be exact. i'm twenty three with not a lot of experience so i was grateful for what i had. the pay was good and i could afford my lifestyle so i didn't complain.

after getting ready, i checked my phone to see if anything new was happening. not at all. the usual bullshit of this city. i so wanted to get out of here. it's not good for me.

i went to check my direct messages and saw a message from the new girl.

@beyonce: hey, i apologize if me following you came off weird. i just saw you followed a few of my friends so i followed you :)

@cookiemonst3r: you good
'seen'

i couldn't explain why that made me a little sad but i waved it off. it wasn't that serious, she's a stranger.

my phone blared as i received a phone call from my sister racquel. well, not my biological sister but it felt that way. we have been friends for years and knew everything about each other. i clicked accept and pressed the phone to my ear.

"yo?" i answered, receiving a laugh.
"you always answer the phone like you a nigga or something." rocky cracked up. i rolled my eyes. "don't piss me off. what you calling me for?" i didn't need the aggravation even though i knew she was teasing. i'm just always mad, that's my problem.

"i wanted to check on you, my beloved best friend." she cooed and i knew something was up. "spill it, bitch." i spoke sharply. she sighed. "okay, i wanted to know if you'd like to come out tonight? my friend was texas is coming and i told her i'd introduce her to my best bitch." she admitted. i didn't know what to think about going out tonight.

"i don't know, rock, going out is a lot of work." "girl, you're going. so shut up and be ready by nine." she quickly hung up before i could protest. she always dragging me out somewhere.

i put my phone away in my pocket then started walking to work. it didn't take long to get there but it was still one hell of a journey.

i greeted my coworkers and then clocked in. i sighed, preparing to dread my next ten hours.

________________________
a/n:
it's short, but that's on purpose. i just wanna see if anybody's gonna actually read this book before i put my all into it. so let me know what y'all think :)