12

onika's pov

it's been almost two weeks since i've last talked to beyoncé. i've called her every single day and i've texted her. but i received no response. it worried me to the extreme. her absence left me in terrible thoughts. i was scared she had left me for good, that she really wasnt going to come back.

i drug myself out of bed to get ready for work. i picked up an extra shift to distract myself from beyoncé. it was still hard as she ran through my mind consistently. i got into the shower and did my usual: sob. i cried the entire time. i missed her touch, her voice, her smell, her presence. beyoncé meant so much to me and to know that she won't even acknowledge me crushed my soul.

i couldn't even vent to rocky about how i was feeling because i knew her intentions of helping wouldn't be pure. after all this time, she wasn't a true friend and it was affecting me. i no longer have the person who saved me and i thought would have forever.

i stared at the ground of the shower and zoned out. i could fathom a life without beyoncé now that she was in it. i wanted her and needed to speak to her.

i slugged out of the shower and got dressed, already dreading my day. i sadly made my way to hell and hoped that i could clear my mind a bit.

— ✰—

my phone lit up with a call as i was trying to make myself something to eat. i looked over at the screen and my eyes lit up.

'my baby ♾️🤍' flashed across my screen. my heart pumped with excitement but my smile faltered as the person who was on the other side wasn't my beyonce. it was kelly.

"onika? hey," she started, her voice full of nerves.

"oh- um- who's this?" i asked. the voice sounded familiar but i still had no idea.

"it's kelly! beyoncé's best friend." she cleared up and i nodded.

"oh- hey, kelly. how are you?"

"hey. im fine. but i need to tell you something important, okay? are you sitting down?" her tone was soft now.

conversations that start like that are never good. so my heart pounded out of my chest with worry. i sat down and sighed shakily.

"i'm sitting now." i whispered.

"beyoncé.. her mom stabbed her. a-and beat her unconscious. she's been in the hospital for awhile now. i- i know how much she means to you so i'm letting you know this. i would've told you immediately but i'm just now getting access to her things." she said.

with each word, my heart broke. my cheeks were soaked with tears and they dropped down to my shirt. i went to speak but nothing came out. it was like my crying was nonstop.

"if you'd like, and have the ability to, you could come see her." kelly told me.

"yes, im coming to see her!" i cried and stood up quickly. i rushed to my room to pack.

"just let me know. and i'll even come pick you up from the airport."

"okay, t-thank you." i sniffled and then we hung up.

my eyes were like fountains as tears spewed out of them endlessly. the last thing i packed was beyonces hoodie. i whimpered softly as i held it against my chest. her smell was fading from it. i sniffled and put it on.