18

"It's getting late, we should go." I mumbled, backing away. He opened his eyes and backed off. "Oh um yeah." He awkwardly said, standing up. We called our ilus went into the water. We didn't say anything on the whole way back. I tried my best to avoid looking at him even at the times he was looking at me.

Time skip

I walked into the pod and saw mum sitting down. "Where have you been?" She asked with her soft voice. "You know, just around." I said, trying to think of something. "What's troubling you, dear?" She looked at my face. I sat down next to her and sighed, looking up. "Was dad your first kiss?" I asked, not looking at her. "Why do you ask this?" She asked, avoiding my question. "Because.." My voice trailed off. "I almost had mine." I continued. I almost had my first kiss again. Mums eyes widened, looking closer at me. "Who?" She asked. "It's not Aonung, is it?"

"No." I wish. "It was this boy that I had recently become friends with." I responded. "What's his name?" She turned my legs around to face her. "Na'itan." I said. "The one who's got the same kind of hair as Neteyam?" She asked. I furred my eyebrows. I looked at her and paused. "I have never noticed that.." Mum started laughing and I did too.

"So, what? Do you like him? Do you hate him? What's happening?" She asked again. I laughed. "I don't know to be honest. I mean I like him but I don't know if I like him like that." I shrugged. "Y/n, you should kiss whoever you want to kiss. It's your choice not anyone else's." She put her hand on mine and squeezed it. "Thanks, mum." I quietly said, smiling a little. I suddenly thought about Aonung and how I should apologise to him. "I have to go make up with someone." I squeezed her hand and ran out of the pod.

I don't know what made me go to Aonung and why I was running but it felt like if I don't go to him now then I would never have the chance to at another time. I saw him sitting on the sand by himself looking at the ocean and walked towards him. "Hey. Can I join you?" I quietly asked, making him turn his head around. "Yeah sure." He said and turned his head back to the ocean. It felt so awkward sitting next to him. Neither one of us said a word, we just stared at the water. He turned his body around to face me and I did too.

"Look, I am sorry about earlier-" He started before I interrupted him. "No, I'm sorry." I said. "I'm just not used to the idea of my little sister dating or liking someone." He continued. "I understand- I mean I started acting up when Lo'ak liked this girl back in the forest." I smiled. He licked his lips and smiled shyly. I have never seen him like this before - a new side to Aonung? No way. We both started laughing while looking at each other. "So we are good?" I asked. "We are good." He smiled, tilting his head.

A few days later

"Just tell him you like him!" Tsireya exclaimed. "Noo. He can't know yet - I'm not ready." I said, making a whining face. "When will you be ready?" She asked. "I don't know. I mean we have been getting closer lately but I don't think he likes me like that." I thinned my lips. "You're being dramatic - of course he likes you. He looks at you in a way that he never does with other girls." She said. "Tsireya, he grins and smirks at me like he does with every other girl." I squinted my eyes.

"All you two need is some alone time, alright?" She suggested. "Your right. That's all we need." I nodded. "I'm gonna go find Aonung- bye!" I waved to her and run off. I looked around and couldn't find him. Where was he? I looked behind me then as I looked back straight, a familiar face popped out of no where. It was Itan. He smiled as I jumped in fright.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. "Y/n, can we talk?" He asked, changing the subject. I nodded. I really hope it's not about what happened between us a few days ago. "Look, I know you have been avoiding me ever since that day." He began. Oh god he is talking about it. "I wasn't- avoiding you?" I said, trying to gaslight him. "Yeah you were." He took both of my hands and looked down at my eyes. "I'm sorry for what happened, without warning you and everything." His voice quieter than before. "But the truth is- I like you, I always have. Ever since you came to the reef, I knew that I had to talk to you. You're the most beautiful girl I have ever seen and I can't handle the thought of you being with someone else."

I gulped. Damn, I didn't know he was down that bad. I opened my mouth to say something but got interrupted by him. "You don't have to say anything." He said, slightly smiling. I thinned my lips. "Are you done?" I asked, sounding slightly mean. I didn't mean for it to sound like that. He licked his lips. "Yeah." He let go of my hands and walked off.

I blanked so many times while writing this. I'm planning to end the story in a few chapters because I feel like it's kind of getting long but idk 😭