13.Truth Bombs

Ceilings // Lizzy McAlpine

I wake up to silence, sweet silence because Randy's already up and gone. There's something about that guy that gets under my skin. Thankfully this is our last morning in this hotel, our last break for a week or so. It's back to the venue this afternoon for tonight's closing show then packing up for the next stop.

I can handle Randy on the bus when there are six other guys to keep his focus off me. But he's made some insinuating remarks when I've come back in from spending time with Char. Remarks that make me feel a little violent. Just thinking about his smug tone asking if I'd gotten some and how wet the pussy was makes me feel a little murdery.

I throw the covers back, pissed that even in his absence Randy has put me in a mood. I opened my eyes to memories of kissing the hell out of Char last night and it bites that the bliss is already burned off. I need some bean juice, aka coffee. Brianna calls it anti-murder juice. Appropriate. Maybe I can take some to Char again and sneak in another kiss.

With a better plan in place than bludgeoning Randy, I grab shorts and a t-shirt, throw on my Vans and shove my wallet in my pocket. After I push the button for the elevator, I rub my hands together. I'm anxious. Excited. Fucking hopeful.

Haven't felt this light in a long time. Aside from my initial desire to club Randy, I'm in a great mood. And it's all Char. The woman has me in the palm of her hand and doesn't even know it.

I hop out of the elevator and find a long fucking line for the coffee shop. Shit. Looks like there's only the one kid working again this morning. It's fine. I have time. I can wait in line and calm my racing heart so when I take it to Char I'm not acting like a puppy. I remember her calling me a golden retriever and laugh to myself. A strong pat on my shoulder as I shake with stifled laughter startles me.

"Look at him," Randy says on my right, hand still clasped onto my shoulder. "Someone got tail last night."

"That makes two of us," John says on my left.

I bite back the fuck you that's on the tip of my tongue. What the fuck is wrong with these guys? They're like frat boys that never left the frat. All musty with mold and mildew.

"Back off." My words come out quiet, but my sharp tone is unmistakable.

"Oh, man. Struck a nerve." John covers his mouth, hiding the mocking laugh. Something darker emanates from Randy. Not sure what, but I don't like it.

"I think this one's spent too much time as the class pet. Time with the talent will make you smug."

I stiffen at Randy's words, something Zack tried to warn me about. I'm a fucking idiot.

A few more guys gather around us, all roadies but the rest don't give me the dark looks Randy and John are throwing my way.

"Is he here, yet?" John asks one of the other guys.

"Heading down. Got in late last night."

I want to ask who they're talking about but not after the exchange I just had with the ring leaders. Instead I continue scrolling the news feed I pulled up on my phone when I couldn't shake them off.

"He can join us." Randy squeezes my shoulder. "Jacob here is buying."

Fuck. I'm not in a position to argue so I keep my mouth shut even though I have no intention of treating everyone. I'm in the dog house with these guys for interacting with Citizen One as much as I have.

The guys around me start talking about the day ahead, the time off we just had and how long until our next break. Ten minutes of this crap goes by while the line inches forward. We're a couple of customers from the front when everyone's attention shifts. Whoever they've been waiting for shows up. I keep my head down on my phone as they great the new guy.