25.Effin' Right

What It's Like // Everlast

"I'm not feeling sushi." Char says as we pull up to the restaurant.

"Say what?" The attendant for the five-star establishment opens her door as I speak, stunned confusion filling the air.

I had my assistant secure a car with a driver to take us on the town. We're dressed to impress. Me in some kind of designer anti-suit with a weird jacket that doesn't have a lapel and a shirt without a collar. The pants don't even have pockets. Kind of ridic actually. But I'm playing the part of an A-list actor in my real life lately, so I went with it.

Char is in a gorgeous dark green dress, hugging all her curves in just the right places. She kept her natural curls but had the stylist my assistant sent over put her hair in an updo with all the little curls around her face. She's so fucking hot we almost didn't make it out the door on time for this table, another task I gave David to secure. For an assistant, he has the right connections and came through on every single one.

"This is the most popular place in town," I argue gently. I should know. I used to work here. It's the first place I thought of when I decided to take Char out on the town. This is the only early night I have while she's here and I wanted to make the most of it. But now I'm confused about her not 'feeling sushi'. Does she not like it? Isn't that something I should know? Or is it something I do know but forgot. That wouldn't be out of the norm for me, forgetting details about my date, but I'm not that guy anymore. I've paid close attention to everything Char. I'm in shock that there might be something about her I didn't know.

"Mmmm, just not feeling it tonight."

"They have stuff that's not raw. Other dishes you could order. It doesn't have to be sushi."

Char turns to look at the restaurant, sighing in a way that physically hurts me. I lean across her to make eye-contact with the attendant who's still waiting for us to get out of the car.

"We've changed our minds," I say. The guy nods and closes the door. I tell our driver to head east until I let him know where we're going.

"Okay, how about tacos?"

She shrugs.

"Burgers and fries."

Char twists her mouth to the side before shaking her head.

"Pizza? No, pasta. Scampi or linguini or something with capers."

This time she shakes her head immediately. "Too many carbs. You're still in training." It's sweet that she's looking out for me but I'd rather she goes for what would make her happy.

We sit in silence for a few blocks. My arm around her, her head on my shoulder. I don't know what's going on. This feels off. We got all dressed up and fancy. Got into a chauffeured car to be driven to our destination. She's not a diva. She's not picky. This isn't about not liking sushi.

"What is it, Char?" I whisper.

She runs her hand up and down my chest, over my ridiculous shirt. I want her hands to undo my buttons. I want her fingers on my skin.

"It will change things and I'm not sure I'm ready for the scrutiny."

"What will change?"

"The sushi place is a hot location. Lots of celebrities which means lots of photographers. We'll be out in the world in a big way."

I deflate a little. "I thought you were cool with us being out there." She said so on set, when she let me kiss her.

"I am. But being on set together is one thing. If we're seen again, in a hot Hollywood celebri-zone known for the presence of in-your-face paparazzi, it's like inviting them to follow us, hunt us down for the dirty details and make up stories about us. I watched it happen to Brianna again and again and again."