27.Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater

1979 // The Smashing Pumpkins

Sometime early the next morning I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. I'm on set wrapping up a scene where I have to fight the bad guy, aka the guy playing Emily's dad. Every move is choreographed but we've done it so many times I don't even have to think about which side to throw the punches. It's automatic. And thank God, because I'm so brain dead if I'd have to think through each move, we'd never finish filming.

Joe, a character actor who's been some famous bad guys over his career, sneers at me as soon as the director shouts action. The rain machine soaks us along with everything in the shot. Joe's hair drips into his eyes and down his expertly dirtied up face. The fake cut by his lip looks like it's oozing blood. His strategically ripped shirt is covered in mud, giving the appearance that we've already been on the ground a few times. The lights of the street shine into the alley where we're filming, bouncing off the wet bricks and concrete surrounding us.

"I knew to trust my gut about you." Joe grits out his line. "My daughter may have been fooled but I never was."

I scoff, using my exhaustion to fuel the character. He'd be wiped out after going a few rounds in an alley with a mafia king pin posing as a secret agent.

"You don't know your daughter very well if you think she hasn't figured out the truth."

"Oh, I know my girl. She's a doe. Innocent to the darkness surrounding her."

I chuff a laugh, running my hand over my mouth and chin as I shake my head.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night."

Joe tilts his head, an eyebrow raised in distain. "I sleep like the dead. Something you'll be doing a few seconds from now."

Our director yells cut and then the sweetest words I've ever heard follow it up. "That's a wrap!"

Fuck, I'm beat. Staying up all night to film after the emotional roller coaster of sending Char back to her real life has kicked my ass. I grab a towel from one of the set assistants to rub the dirt and fake rain off my face. After handing the towel back covered in grime, along with my thanks, I walk the block to where my trailer is set up.

But once I swing open the door and step inside, I'm face to face with an uninvited guest.

"What are you doing in here?"

Emily's lounging on the couch in my trailer, scrolling her phone while swinging her crossed leg up and down. Her eyes dart up and shoot me with a look I can't decipher.

"Don't you have your own trailer?" I stay by my door, holding the handle so I can lock it as soon as she's out.

"Yes, I do but the drama is in this one."

Her words, which are sarcastic and accusatory, don't match the seriousness of her tone. I'm confused. We've gotten along throughout filming. She's kind of in-your-face about everything but I've never gotten a vibe from her like I'm getting now. I don't like it.

"Drama? Yeah, that's a no thank you. I avoid drama these days." Something about her body language has me on edge. I need to get her out of here.

"Um, think again cowboy." She turns her phone around and shoves it in my face. "Looks like you're front page news."

Newbie Actor Hooks Up with Pop Star's Agent

My skin prickles as I read the headline. It's mocking and trite but not really that bad. After all, we knew we'd be outed eventually. Might as well be now.

"I'd hardly call this drama. We were under the radar for a while but it's not shocking that the gossip rags picked it up."

Emily closes her eyes. "Did you even scroll?"