23.Hollywood Nights

Hollywood Nights // Bob Seger

Char

I'm so freaking nervous. The elevator doors open to a long hallway. It reminds me of the date Jacob took me on and the long walk from the elevator to my hotel room door. He'd warned me it would be the longest walk of the night and he was right. I wondered if he'd kiss me goodnight. I worried I'd been too much for him, that I'd pushed him away already.

Then I freaked out because I realized I'd wanted him to kiss me. Really bad. My heart was racing but I played it off, kept acting aloof and teasing him.

Until I said his name.

It wrecked him. I could see it in his eyes. He'd been waiting for me to call him Jacob and the second I did, he gave in to the pull between us. I've never been the same. 

Missing him was a shock. I knew I would, but the depth of my longing for him was unexpected. I lingered in it, drowned. Bree was actually worried about me. She wouldn't let me wallow, but even with the forced companionship that comes with being on tour, I withdrew from everyone more than I normally would. I was such a mess, Brianna Royce—world famous pop star, my best friend since kindergarten and the reason I learned the managerial side in order to protect her from the industry vultures—kicked me off the tour.

But I went willingly. I knew she'd be fine. There were plenty of people in her camp. And seriously no one was going to push her around with her boyfriend, Zack, in tow. He looks like a cheese puff, but the guy has a protective streak a mile wide. He can hold his own verbally and his black belt in jujitsu doesn't hurt, either. He's earned my trust.

I make the long walk to Jacob's hotel room door. My hands shake when I knock as my phone starts ringing. Just as I pull it out of my bag to hit ignore—this is absolutely not the time for a business call—the door swings open, Jacob on the other side with a phone to his ear. My phone rings again, Jacob's name flashing as the caller.

I want to laugh, and I want to cry. But mostly, I want his arms around me. In the next second they are.

"Good surprise or bad surprise?" I ask, Jacob crushing me to his chest.

"Good. So damn good you have no idea."

"I think I have some idea." This. This is what I needed.

"Baby, I was just going out of my mind missing you. I couldn't sit still. I was trying to figure out when I could fly to you for even a day but couldn't seem to make it work." Jacob kisses me, sending jolts of need through my entire body. "And here you are. Just damn."

"I realized I didn't need to be at Brianna's beck and call." I'm breathless as he peppers my neck and shoulders with kisses. "Her producer is with her for the next few shows. I decided I needed to be here."

Jacob pulls me into the room. I drag my bag in behind me as he shuts the door, locks it and throws on the top latch with a flair.

"I still can't believe it," he says, stalking toward me, intent and determination in his eyes.

I gulp. He's almost predatory. I want to run, knowing he'd chase me. I'd flee to his bedroom where he'd follow me, pressing me to the wall as he captures me...

"You're blushing." He grazes my check with the tips of his fingers as soon as he's close enough. I didn't actually run, but the images burned into my mind of the chase are raising my blood pressure.

I say nothing. Instead I look down at my hands, worried that he'd see the desire in my eyes. I wasn't planning on coming directly to his room at this hour. My travel time had taken way longer than I expected to arrive in Los Angeles thanks to delays on both legs of my flight. I was going to get my own room and freshen up before I came to surprise Jacob, but I'd gotten to the hotel too late for any rooms to be available. The thrill of spontaneous travel plans. Now I'm with him but still have a gross layer of airport grime and all-day flights. I'm wearing sloppy travel clothes and no make-up. My hair is a rat's nest. I'm not presentable, or desirable in the least.