p r o l o g u e

"It's a great weather today, isn't it? Would you like a cigarette?"

"No, I'm fine."

The two notable police officers were seated across from each other inside the interrogation room. There is a small table in the middle that serves as a boundary between them. It was quite dark and gloomy, as there was only one light hanging from above. Every aspect of the interview was being recorded by a camera in the corner. The detective who was being interrogated, strongly recalled all the incidents that brought him to this moment.

"Can you tell me your name and your job?"

He had his hands clasped on the table, the expression on his face seems baffled by what he is about to tell.

"I'm Detective Takeshi Mori. Everybody calls me 'Guts'. I was appointed as a lead investigator of a kidnapping case in Osaka."

His voice was directly recorded by a device resting on the table. Guts has to be certain all of his statements are mere truth because they'll be reviewed by the higher-ups. That is why, no matter how absurd it will be, he had to narrate it for the sake of the public and the victims involved in the case.

"Can you tell me what happened in Osaka?"

It was August 15th 2021 when a fresh high school graduate Ren Kaneko moved into the Tuoma apartment.

It was supposed to be a new beginning for the young girl. A prestigious university that would change her life for the best.

"If only she hadn't stumbled upon that apartment, I wouldn't be sitting my ass here narrating everything that happened. Ren was the pathway to solve the case."

The other investigator moved closer to the table with his brows furrowed in curiosity. "Who is Ren Kaneko? How is she significant to this case?"

She was just a young girl. A dreamer and a hope to her family.

It was fate that brought her to the Tuoma residence.

The sacrificial lamb to end the wickedness in that apartment once and for all.

"My tongue is extremely itchy to tell you every detail, but I don't even know where to start. Look at me, look at my damn face; can you see? This is how your face will turn once you find out what evil lurks behind those motherfuckers faces." Guts pointed at his swollen eyes.

"The Tuoma residence are bunch of psychotic twisted little fuckers. They're fucked!"

He inhaled deeply.

"Putangina ang sarap pag sasapakin ng mga baliw na 'yun. 'Di pa ako kuntento." He cursed under his breath, clenching his wounded fist.

"As far as I'm concerned about the Tuoma residence, I'm even more concerned about your language, Detective Mori. This will be reviewed by the chief. So if you would like to take a quick break to compose yourself, I'd be glad to provide you." The other investigator tried to maintain his sanity despite the worry that Gut's incisive tongue caused him.

He briefly stopped recording to speak with him in a less formal manner. "Makinig ka Guts, alam kong pagod ka sa ilang araw na walang tulog kaya't kung gusto mong makauwi ngayong gabi ay magtino ka muna okay? Kingina, pa'no 'to maipapalabas sa media kung puro mura ang naririnig nila?" His tone remained low to avoid rising a conflict.

"Kasalanan ko bang ikaw ang napag-utusan ni tanda? Sige na, tapusin na natin 'to. Dami mong putak." Guts couldn't care less about his distressed old friend.

"Seryoso na'to. In 3, 2 , 1, alright we're back." Then he hit the play button to resume the interview.

"Detective Mori, can you tell me more about the Tuoma residence?"

Hidden deep within the streets of Osaka, you'll find a long staircase that leads to a much more deserted avenue where Tuoma's apartment was located. Due to the increasing number of college students moving to the city with their dreams and ambitions, renting establishments were everywhere.

That is how they got their victim.

College female students who are young, vulnerable and naive.

And it just so happens that Ren has every quality they're seeking for.

What a perfect prey.

"We keep talking about Ren, but you haven't told us her story. Based on the report, she was the last victim and the reason why the case was close . . . " After a brief pause, Detective John Mori's eyes began to reflect the dwindling interest that had been consuming him for the past few months.

"What happened to Ren Kaneko? How did she end up as one of the Tuoma's victim?"

* * * * * 

E N D    O F    P R O L O G U E