Chapter 3

[Pat's POV]

I sat down on the bed, the fan blowing slowly at me. I thought I would be spending my time in this place for 3 months, whilst waiting for Pran to come back.

But now, I am spending 3 months in this place, knowing I wouldn't have Pran to go back to. He finally replied my messages and calls. It was probably the shortest conversation we ever had in our lives together. It was the shortest but also most decisive one.

I thought all of that struggles through University was worth it but in the end, it still boiled down to nothing. He blamed me that time for having to be away but whom do I blame now?

I laid on the bed, my tears coming down hard and fast again. It has been like this for the last 2 days, crying myself to sleep without even wanting to.

I didn't sleep as usual and took a quick shower and changed around 4am. I decided to go for a walk to clear my head. As I came out of my trailer, I saw Phupha coming back from his run. He saw me and just raised his hand saying hello. I waved back to him.

He nodded and went on. I took a walk around the base for about an hour, just soaking in the early morning air and wandered to the nearby vantage point to catch the sunrise. I sat down, around 5.45am, just waiting for the sun to rise.

"You enjoy the sunrise too?"

I turned around, surprised to see Phupha. I nodded.

"You too?"

"It was my favourite thing to do with Tian."

"Tian? Is he another soldier here?"

Phupha just smiled.

"He was my partner but its been 3 years now. Now I just catch the sunrise myself. Its still my favorite thing to do. Watching it with him in memory."

I kept quiet. I didn't know how to respond to that.

"May I?"

I nodded and Phupha just sat quietly next to me. This time, the silence was abit more comforting and not so deafening.

"May I ask what happened to Tian if it's ok?"

"He passed away. A heart problem. We were supposed to get married that year but he passed away 2 weeks prior to our wedding. That's when I decided to shift to this camp instead, for a change."

I sneaked a look at Phupha whose face was a little red. That must be far worse, having to deal with losing your partner forever. Knowing that he wasn't around physically in any part of the world.

Without me even realising it, I reached out to just pat Phupha on his back. He turned to me, smiling gently.

"Don't worry. I'm in a better place now. It isn't the same without Tian but I also know he wouldn't be happy if he saw me constantly mourning. I try and live my best life for him."

I just looked at Phupha. How is he...

"Wondering how am I able to be so strong and composed? I wouldn't lie. I have my days. But its important I keep living for the people who are still here for me. It never gets easier but it doesn't get any harder either. You will get there one day too. I know you are upset at your parents but know they did what they did just for you. They want to make sure you are happy still. And learning how to redirect your pain fruitfully. It's never easy to have their only son away from them."

I just listened to Phupha, not uttering a word in reciprocation. Just then, the sun rose, bathing us in a warm golden hue. I turned to see the sun rising up slowly, its warmth caressing my face. Inevitably, I ended up smiling.

"First smile since you came here. Not bad."

I chuckled as I looked at Phupha.

"Thank you for everything."

He just waved off my thanks and we sat there in silence for a bit more, just soaking in the vibes. About 10 mins later, he stood up, citing he had things to see to. I nodded.

"Be careful. Esp with the arm. See you later?"

"Okays, I will be. See you later then."

I watched as Phupha walked off. Truly, the biggest pains are often hidden by the most unassuming people. I never knew he had such a pain and yet he was so composed and still living to his best.

At least, I knew Pran was somewhere, alive and well. But he, didn't even have that luxury.