Chapter 8

[Phupha's POV]

I watched as Pat inched closer towards me. I knew he had that fear of being left behind again. Heck, even I had that fear.

But there was something about him that made me care again, it made my heart warm, it made me want to look out for and look after him, it made me like someone again.

It made me want to be there for someone all over again. No one could replace Tian, but could someone give me the same happiness that he used to? It looked like Pat could but I know he had his own demons to get over too. And we were on a timeline here. Pat would leave after 2 months. Are we close enough to want to maintain any connections once he leaves?

I burrowed my face into his back as my thoughts swarmed me. Pat just tightened my arm around his waist and we ended up sleeping like that. I woke up as usual at 3am only to find the bed empty. I sat up and saw Pat standing outside in the chilly wind. I grabbed a jacket and went out, wrapping it around him.

"It's so early. Why are you standing here?"

"I couldn't sleep."

"What's on your mind?"

Pat was silent. I thought he didn't hear me until I heard him mutter.

"I'm wondering if this is worth the leap of faith."

I looked at him quizzically as he turned to look at me.

"I have changed alot. Pran leaving me has taken a part of me and I'm not the same anymore. But seeing you be there for me, care for me, is making me wonder if I can take that leap of faith."

"No one will be the same once something life changing has happened to them. I cannot tell you for sure if the leap of faith is worth it. But I will try and do justice to it..."

Pat just hugged me tightly when I said that. I held onto him, kissing the top of his head.

"Let's give it a shot ok? No rules, no specifications. Let's take it as it comes. And if you don't feel comfortable, you tell me."

Pat looked at me and nodded his head. I smiled as I hugged him again, feeling his warmth cascade through me.

It was a long day for us, with him helping with clean up of the camp and me sorting out the security of the camp base itself. We have had several run ins with the tribal people living in the forested area. I know they were just looking out for themselves but we had to assure them that we were in no way about to hurt them. It was going to be a long journey but we had to do it.

I ended work around 6pm and went back to my bunker to find Pat sitting outside, wearing my t shirt and chilling.

"Hey. When did you come back?"

"I came back around 5, got a shower and changed."

"I see you are wearing my shirt?"

"Yeaps, heard that the partners are allowed to wear them. It was my size so why not?"

I smirked, hearing that. I couldn't keep that stupid smile off my face. Pat came up to me and gave me a small hug, ruffling my hair.

"Have you eaten?"

"Not yet."

"Owh why?"

"Erm. I don't know how to cook. And I haven't gone to the canteen yet."

I laughed out loud!

"Some things don't change huh? You still don't know how to cook? I remember your dad telling my dad on your cooking antics whilst in university."

Pat laughed. "I still don't. Your dad sure talks alot about me huh at home?"

"Here and there. But it's always very memorable stories. I used to tell Tian about them too."

Pat's face changed, turning even more red in 2nd hand embarrassment. I laughed, just slinging my arm around him, bringing him in, assuring him that it was all water under the bridge. I cooked dinner as Pat did laundry for me. It was a very domestic scene and I kept looking at Pat as he did his chores.

"You will be going back in 2 months, right?"

"Yeaps. Why?"

"What do you plan to do?"

"I have a job offer lined up for me. Was deciding between that or going to Scotland to see Pran, that was my plan then."

"Now?"

"Now I would like to take that job offer and spend my vacation days travelling up to see you."

That stupid smile flitted over my face again. I thought I was hiding it well until Pat came and turned me around.

"Does that sound like a good plan?"

"Sounds good to me."

Pat smiled and just hugged me briefly as I finished off the soup. I took a quick shower and changed, coming out to him laying the table for dinner.

I stood behind him, holding onto him.

"You are very touchy, aren't you?"

"I just like holding onto the one I like."

Pat laughed as he let me hold onto him like a koala bear. Once dinner was over, we were chatting when Pat's phone rang. He looked at the phone and his face changed a bit. I was curious and looked at the caller I'd. It was Pran.

I didn't know what to say. I just looked at  Pat who kept looking at the phone. Then finally, he just switched off the ringer and kept the phone aside. He looked at me.

"Did you think I would answer the phone?"

I nodded.

"Well, I'm sorry to surprise you."

I just smiled as I took him in my arms. This boy certainly knew how to surprise me each and every time.