Chapter 4

[Phupha's POV]

It was a busy day for me at camp. We had drills, a mock practice and even an emergency exercise. I also had to go offsite to get some materials.

Around 11am, I saw Pat at my office. He had a task at camp today and was stationed on site. His arm was still in a sling but he carried his laptop and other tools in a backpack. He settled down to do his work. I watched him from my desk as I cleared some paperwork. Around 1pm, we all broke for lunch. I went out to get some lunch and came back, realizing that Pat was still immersed in his work.

I went up to his desk and tapped on his table.

"Hey, yes?"

"Aren't you going to eat your lunch?"

"Owh, its lunchtime already? In a bit, let me just finish this up."

I nodded, not wanting to push him further. He wrapped up his work and then stood up, wanting to go get some lunch. I watched him as he got his bag.

"Why dont you tell me what you want? I will get it for you."

"It's ok. I can do it myself..."

"It's ok. Look you are still struggling with 1 hand. Let me help."

Pat nodded and I went to get him a meal. I came back and opened it up for him. I watched as he stirred the food and had a few bites.

"Not hungry?"

"Not really. Just in pain today. So I have no appetite. The arm is aching abit more than usual."

"Do you want to see the doctor? We have one, onsite."

"Maybe that be good."

I offered to bring him to the doctor after lunch. The doctor examined his arm and highlighted that he needed to rest it as it was still healing. He ordered Pat to be on bed rest for a few days to heal the arm or else he will be in constant pain. Pat grimaced but agreed reluctantly.

We were walking back to his bunker when I asked him if he wanted to stay at mine so I could keep an eye on him.

"It's ok. I be fine. I promise not to move so much." But Pat gave such a cheeky smile that I didn't know if I could trust him on it. I just glared at him and told him that if he was caught doing anything, I would personally come down. He laughed and nodded.

Pat was given bed rest for the next few days. Even when I couldn't go down to check on him, I made sure I sent someone to periodically drop in. The weekend came by too and that meant everyone could take some time off to go home. I didn't as I really didn't have family to go back to. But I was surprised to hear that Pat staying back too.

I went to see him.

"Aren't you going home for the weekend?"

"Hmm no. I have no reason to."

"No reason or no mood? There can never be enough reasons not to go home Pat. I'm sure everyone misses you at home."

He kept quiet, this determined look clouding his face. I knew he needed more time to find it within himself to forgive his family too. I just patted his shoulders and left. The ball was in his court. He had to decide, what he wanted to do.

It was around 3pm and I was in my bunker reading when someone knocked. I opened the door to find Pat standing there with his backpack.

"Do you mind giving me a ride home?"

I smiled, the smile crinkling my eyes and my lips pursued in that smirky manner that Tian often had found grief with.

"I don't mind. Give me 10 minutes to change ok?"

Pat nodded. I changed into something comfortable and drove him home. He invited me to his house to meet his parents too and everyone was so thrilled to see him. His mother was upset seeing his arm but knowing he was in good hands comforted her. I was just a little silent, not quite used to family dynamics after being alone for so long. His sister was also in town so it was a noisy household. I chatted with Pat's dad as he hung out in the kitchen with his mom.

"How has he been?

"Good Sir. He's very hardworking actually. Looks playful but isn't. I was surprised too."

"Yea. He's definitely cheeky but dedicated to what he does. Please look after him for us ok? I count on you."

I nodded, reassuring him firmly. Post dinner, I wanted to leave but they all insisted I stay and just leave with Pat the following day. Despite my resistance, I was unanimously voted to stay so I bunked with Pat in his room. He was showering whilst I took a look around his room. I saw the guitar and took it up.

"You play too?"

"Not much, just learning." I replied turning around to see Pat.

"Do you want me to teach you?"

I looked at him and nodded.

"Sure, why not?"

I sat down with Pat who guided me with very careful instructions. I tried and it wasn't so bad. We laughed abit over e process as Pat was trying to guide me verbally and I realised I wasn't the most musically inclined either.

"Oh my god! You are so bad at this. Pran would totally laugh if he heard you!"

Pat realized his mistake and suddenly his face changed. I looked over at him.

"It's ok. Don't be so hard on yourself."

Pat nodded but we both knew the vibes for music was off. I kept the guitar away and we crawled into bed. I hadn't slept with another in my bed for years now so I was not quite used to it. I just laid straight up and Pat turned to his right to sleep. Slowly, over the night, I ended up sleeping on my right too, unconsciously slinging my arm over Pat.

This was the sight that greeted me when I woke up as usual at 3am, finding myself holding onto Pat. I quickly took my arm away and scrambled out of bed quietly before he woke up.

I sat down at the edge, just having my head in my hands, my heart fluttering a bit. I haven't held anyone in my arms for years. And I always believed I wouldn't.

So how did i end up holding onto Pat of all people last night?