Chapter 7

[Pat's POV]

The next day, I happened to see Phupha a few times whilst we were at camp. However, I firmly ignored him and went about my work. He kept throwing me glances but didn't say anything.

We were all busy doing work at different parts of the camp when I heard loud shooting ringing out. What the fuck was going on?!

I quickly scrambled to hide under a table and took my phone out. Before I could ring Phupha, he called me.

"Are you ok?!"

"I am. What's happening?"

"We got an attack. Unforeseen. Stay where you are. I will come get you. Do you understand?!"

I agreed and stayed hidden. About 10 minutes later, I saw Phupha at the door looking for me. He had been shot in his right arm and was bleeding through a haphazardly tied bandage. He saw me and beckoned me over. I ran to him and he grabbed my hand, holding me tight to him as we ran out to the secure safe house.

He left me there, telling me to stay put till he came back. I was reluctant to let him go but I had no choice. I nodded tersely and watched him go off.

I do not know exactly how long I spent in the safe house but when Phupha finally came back, it was pitch dark. He opened the door of the safe house and looked at me, assuring me everything was ok. I just looked at him from where I was standing. He was bleeding from numerous places. I went upto him and hugged him tightly. He held onto me back in reciprocation.

"Are you ok?'

"Are you ok?! I should be asking you that."

Phupha chuckled dryly. "I'm fine. Let's go. Several bunkers were shot down. Yours is one of them. You stay at mine tonight. We will move you over to another camp tomorrow."

I kept quiet. We went to his bunker.

"How about you? Will you be moving with me?"

"I will be staying here. We have alot to see to. But its important we get you out of here. I promised your dad and there is no way I'm letting you stay on here."

"What makes you think I be safe elsewhere? I be safe as long as I am around you. Let me be here."

"Pat. We cannot do that. I cannot have anything happening to you. I can't take that risk."

"What if something happened to me there? You still blame yourself then. Let me be here. I stay in your bunker."

He looked at me exasperatedly, knowing I wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Fine. But you better don't leave my sight."

"I don't plan to."

He sighed and sat down, groaning in pain. I got out the first aid kit and dressed his wounds the best I could. Phupha just sat watching me. I bandaged him up and finally looked at him.

"Are you ok?"

He nodded, reassuring me he was. I just ran my hands gently over his wounds. He looked at me and then he just leaned over to kiss my fingers that was on his bicep. It was a very soft chaste kiss. I looked at him in surprise. He looked at me and I knew it had surprised him as much too. Perhaps he didn't set out to do that but ended up doing it.

Against my stupid brain, I chose to listen to my heart and leaned in to kiss him. I leaned in to kiss Phupha softly on his lips, capturing them. He let me take the lead and slowly reciprocated. His left hand cradled my cheeks as he kissed me back and I found my hands going around his neck too.

We finally pulled away, a little bit later, looking flushed as hell.

"I.."

"I.."

We both stumbled over our words. He just smiled at me; pulling away slowly and standing up. I did too and I held onto his shirt for a bit.

"Are you ok? You should rest."

"I will. Its been a long day. You take my bed. I take the couch."

"We don't have to do that. We can share the bed."

Phupha turned away and just nodded, his face reddening. A smirk inevitably broke out over my face, making it awfully red too.

Sleep didn't come easy to either of us as we both laid on our respective sides. Finally, I felt Phupha put his hand over me.

"Erm.."

"Let me be, please?"

I responded by inching in closer to him and he held onto me even more tightly. Slowly but surely; we were letting down our boundaries around each other. I only hope it wouldn't back fire on us.

The fear was always there.