Chapter 6

[Phupha's POV]

I held onto Pat. I haven't comforted someone in years and the last person I had held in my arms was Tian. I felt Pat clam up initially but he eventually wrapped his arms around me.

Was it weird that the hug was both awkward and comforting?

We stayed like that for a bit until an awkward cough broke it. We pulled apart to see my junior officer Tinn standing there awkwardly scratching his head.

"We are having a team dinner tonight. Wanted to invite you too Pat, will you join us?"

Pat just nodded his head in agreement, I stood a step aside, looking out over Pat's head, just clearing my throat and looking at my junior, praying that my face looked as composed and poker as usual. Tinn shot me a cheeky smile, raising his eyebrows. I glared at him and he laughed even louder.

Pat just looked at us confused. I shook my head at him, telling him we would see him later. Pat nodded and left. I glared at Tinn who just laughed even more and ran off before I could even get to him.

Around 7.30pm, Pat joined us. He brought along some snacks that his mom had sent as a welcome gift. The boys greeted him warmly and asked him to sit down. He looked at the table and saw an empty seat next to me. He looked at me and I nodded subtly, patting the seat too.
Pat sat down next to me. I introduced him to all of the boys, we chatted gaily whilst bonding over dinner and beers.

Pat was a natural extrovert, cheery and smiley. He made friends with everyone easily and was able to break the ice with all. It was the first time I was seeing his personality that my dad often spoke of, come out in person since he came to camp.

I just drank quietly, observing him. A little too fast I may add and became tipsy after a few rounds. We all broke up to go back to our own bunkers around 11pm and Pat sent me home. I was whistling away chirpily in a drunken haze and he just laughed watching me.

Once we got to my bunker, Pat held onto me as he opened the door.

"Will you be fine?"

"Huh. Yes I will be. Come on. I'm fine."

"Right. I so can tell." Pat snickered. I flicked him on his forehead and he laughed.

He took his arm off me and made me stand up straight. I shivered as a sudden gust of wind just blew.

"You ok?"

"It's a little chilly."

"Get in there. You be fine soon."

I nodded at Pat.

"I go in then. Thank you for joining us."

"No, thank you for inviting me. It felt good to be out and about."

I smiled at Pat and just nodded my head, turning to go in when I turned back at the last minute.

"Pat. Do you want to have dinner tomorrow?"

"With the boys again?"

"I meant here. At my place. If you like. I can cook something simple."

Pat looked at me for a bit before nodding.

"Yea, sure. Why not? Same time?"

I nodded and he left. Color me crazy but maybe that put me in a good mood. I was exceptionally smiley the following day and I left at 5pm sharp to go home and cook a simple meal. My years in camp has taught me to be self sufficient and I could whip up a simple meal. Pat turned up around 6pm.

"Hey you are early. I'm not quite done yet. Just have a seat first."

"I thought I come by to help. Is there anything I can do?"

"Do you want to get the mayo for the fries?"

Pat nodded and took it out but instead of prepping, he just stared at the mayo for a long time. I walked up closer to him and realized he had tears in his eyes. I looked at the mayo and him. There must be a memory tied to that.

I went up even closer to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. He turned to see me, the reverie broken.

"I'm so sorry. So silly of me. Let me prep it now."

"You want to talk about it?"

Pat shook his head fiercely, just turning even more towards the counter, squaring off against me.

I held onto his shoulder and turned him around.

"I cannot explain the dynamics you shared with Pran. Maybe you are the one always comforting him but it doesn't mean you cannot be comforted. As much as I comfort, i also want to be comforted. And I know that as much as you have always comforted people, you need it now. Let me be there for you."

Pat shook his head fiercely again, attempting to move away from me.

"Why are you resisting me Pat?!"

"Because I don't want to get close to someone, trust them, place my faith in them and have them leave me!" Pat screamed.

I was stunned. I took a step back. Pat just placed down the mayo.

"I think let's skip dinner tonight. Sorry. Thank you."

With those parting words, he just left, leaving me standing there in complete shock.