Chapter 5

[Pat's POV]

I woke up around 6am to find Phupha missing. I figured he must have woken up for his usual jog.

I showered, changed and went down to see him with my mom at the dining table.

"Morning"

"Morning. Had a good rest? Your mom did breakfast. Come have some?"

I nodded, sitting down to have breakfast. But Phupha finished his quickly and said he was going out for a bit. I nodded and watched him go off. That was very abrupt. But soon, I realized why he did that.

"Pat.. can we talk about something? Mommy and daddy have not told you something and we need to tell you this. Its about P.."

"Pran? I know."

"How did you...?"

As my dad joined us too, I filled them in on how I had found out and how Pran had also finally replied me. My mom cried softly seeing the pain I had been through.

"I'm sorry son, I didn't mean to want to put you through such pain. I ..."

I kept quiet, just waving off my parents apology. They were looking out for me but does it ache? It does. Does it sting badly? It definitely does. Will I get over it? Maybe...

Just then, Phupha walked back in. Seeing him at the door reminded me that pain comes in all packages and some of us perhaps have it a little easier than others. At least, I know Pran is safe and sound. But for Phupha, he had to forever grapple with the fact that his Tian was not around.

My parents thanked him again for looking out for me. He just nodded, stating it was his job as my sergeant and also as a family friend. We hung out a bit more before finally making our way back to camp.

Once we got back to camp, he told me to rest whilst he went off to his office. I didn't see him for the rest of the day. I kept away the food packages that my mom had packed me and also went to do some laundry. I completed some work and finally paid the doctor a visit to see if my sling could come off. Thankfully it could and I was walking back to my bunker around 5pm when I bumped into Phupha.

"The doctor gave you the all clear?"

"He did. I'm glad."

"That's good. Be careful next time. And if in danger, just stay somewhere hidden and call me."

"You can't rescue me everytime. It will be impossible. Don't worry, I will be ok."

Phupha just looked at me but didnt say anything else; just nodding silently. I smiled at him; bidding goodbye and left.

The next day at camp, saw us being busy all over again. There were indeed so many things to do and was happy I could contribute in some way. My dad was right; this entire thing kept me occupied and I often didn't pay much attention to Pran at all. In a way, it soothed my pain. It was around 1pm when I heard the news that there was a shootout in the forest and Phupha was caught in the middle of it. I panicked and wanted to go see him but was strongly forbidden by the rest.

I found myself unable to concentrate on my work and just awaiting news of him. Finally around 6pm, we heard the team was coming back. I ran off to the office to look for him and saw him sitting at his desk. He was thankfully not sporting any injuries though he did look bruised in some places. His immediate team was there and they were all chatting when I arrived. His juniors Tinn and Gunn saw me, nodded and took their leave citing some excuse, leaving us alone.

"Are you ok?"

"Yes, I am. I'm fine. Dont worry. Why are you here?"

"I heard about the shootout. I got worried. I wanted to make sure you were fine. Are you hurt?"

"I am not. Just a little bruised but I am OK. You needn't worry. I am fine."

I kept quiet, looking at him. Phupha sensed my distress and walked over to me.

"Look at me, I'm fine. You can see for yourself."

He stood in front of me and I raised my eyes to study him. He did look fine, just a few bruises here and there. I cast an eye over his overall physique and he looked absolutely fine. I sighed softly, finally feeling a bit of a relief. Only then I realised that Phupha was also looking at me keenly.

"Are you ok?"

"Hmm? Yes, I am. I was just worried about you."

"I.. I am fine. I'm sorry if I worried you."

"Hey, no need to say sorry. I guess I overreacted. I..I will get going then."

He nodded and I left, not aware that he was still looking at me keenly.

I couldn't explain the distress I felt when I heard that he was possibly injured. It made me feel as if I was losing Pran all over again. He wasn't Pran but yet I felt like I was losing him.

This whole thing with Pran leaving me was messing with my head. I sighed as I continued walking. But suddenly I felt my hands being tugged around and I turned to see Phupha.

"What...what happened?"

"I'm fine. I'm not going anywhere. As much as possible, I am going to be here. I just wanted to make it clear."

I looked at Phupha, realizing he must have felt my distress. I sighed and he just placed his arms around me, holding onto me. I didn't know how to respond. I was so used to being the one that comforted Pran and now I needed comforting. And to find myself in these shoes was new, it was liberating. It was definitely new to me but I realized I needed this but I didn't know how to respond to it.

He just held onto me for a bit. I could sense he was awkward too. It must be new to him, having to comfort someone so many years later and yet he was doing it for me.

Was it weird that the hug was both awkward and yet comforting?