Jade Island

I lean against the old wooden railing at the entrance of the small village I live in, and gaze out into the ocean. The sun is starting to rise over the ocean making the normal sparkling blue waters loo red and orange with fire.

I brushed my bangs from my face with a small smile pulling at my lips. The ocean has always been my favorite part of this island. It is so vast and full of mysteries just waiting to be discovered. Just waiting for travelers to explore its depths. I just wish I was lucky enough to be one of those people.

I sigh escapes my lips. I stretch my arms over my head and start walking back to the dojo. Training will start soon.

Jade Island is a special island in the New World. See Jade Island is the place that the best swordsmen in the world came to train or fight for the right to be best in the dojo or dare I say best in the world.

However the man that is declared the best swordsmen in the world, doesn't come around much, just comes whenever he feels like it which makes me upset and frustrated. Sparring with him was the only way I actually felt like I was getting any better on this island anymore.

I walk through the village to go to the top of the hill where the dojo sits. The village and the dojo themselves, like everything else on this island, are very plane . All the buildings have a very traditional Japanese architecture and are painted very bland and neutral colors.

The island only had a very small amount permanent residences. Those being the sensei at the dojo and the people who helped with basic living: grocers, tailors, doctors, etc. Other than that most of the village is made up of students or passing swordsmen who want to sharpen their skills.

This didn't bother me too much however. I get to hear the tales that travelers told. Some of them sounded so unreal. Tales about giants and mermaids would dance through the air at the local pub. Tales of the war against the world government and White Beard were told in hushed tones like the people were feeling a heavy lost for the man.

Pirates. I never really had an opinion about them much. The stories that were told about White Beard made me almost want to respect them. A man that cared that much for his crew mates or as he called them his sons, could not be a bad man in my mind. On the other hand some pirates swept through the ocean killing without mercy, like the pirate known as Black Beard. Even thinking about the stories people tell about him makes even me want to cringe.

I started to ascend the 134 stone stairs. (yes I counted you get bored on such a small island) As I made my way a sweet scent filled my nose. The cherry trees that paralleled the stairs were in full bloom.

When I reached the top of the hill and turned around and gazed at the village from above. From up here you could see every part of town, even all the way to the beach. Up here the ocean became unfathomably large. It made me wonder if even my small pin pick of an island would make a difference if it just vanished.

Disregarding my philosophical thoughts of the morning, I head to far right entrance to the dojo where the housing is.

My feet don't even make a noise as the pad down the hallway.

The only thing that acknowledges that this is my room is a small wooden number 1 with a W next to. Meaning I was the first room in the west hall. I slide the door open and step into my room. Like the rest of the island it is small, neutral, and a traditional Japanese style. I have my sleeping mat on the floor with the white sheets made. The only other things that are in the room is a small table in the middle of the room, a desk bellow the small ciricular window, and dresser. I was raised to believe that the only things that a swordsman need to survive was a sword. Unnecessary distractions would make me a sloppy, and unworthy.