Family Gathering

"I am so tired I don't even wanna go!" I said looking over at Ellie. She was driving us to my nephew's 12th birthday party. It was my two sisters and their husbands as well as my parents who were attending. I was so not in the mood to go be around little kids but, I love my sister so I was willing to do it.

"I know but we will be there for two hours max. Then i'll drive you home and sleep." Ellie said, reaching over to place her hand on thigh to comfort me.

"This is why I love you." I said, kissing her cheek. Her affectionate smile warmed my heart as she continued to focus on the road.

After about 10 minutes we arrived at my sisters house. We saw all my sisters and my Brother in laws in the backyard, all talking around the large table with a cheap blue plastic tablecloth. There were blue decorations all around the backyard. There was a table with gifts as well. The kids were playing on the small playground behind the garage, all wearing cute little party hats. Ellie parked behind my sisters car and my sisters walked over to hug Ellie and I. Ellie was such a natural with my family. Although this was only the fourth family event she had been too, it felt as though she had been a part of the family forever. She was such a natural with them. My mom just loved her. She always hints about marriage but we just laugh it off.

"It's been so long!" My oldest sister Megan exclaimed hugging me.

"I know I've missed you guys!" I said hugging my middle sister Kate. I handed Megan the gift I got for my nephew's birthday. I didn't know quite what to get him but I bought him a car lego set. Ellie assured me he would love it. Ellie walked over to the table to say hi to my brother in laws, Immediately joining their conversation.

My sisters and I talked at the table for what felt like hours, just catching up on their riveting lives. They were asking me about Ellies and I's work. Then they started to grill me about Ellie.

"So when's the.." Megan pointed to her left ring finger. I rolled my eyes and giggled.

"We've only been together for 6 months!" I said laughing. I swear my face was turning red.

"So.. we can all tell you are perfect for each other. Just the way she looks at you says it all." Kate said dramatically.

"I'm not gonna rush anything. I just love where we are in our relationship right now and would hate to ruin it."

"I get that but when you know you know." Kate said, smiling at me. Eventually they changed the topic and I looked over at Ellie. She was playing with my Nieces and Nephews on the playground. She was holding my youngest nephew and they were both laughing. My heart was melting because of how cute she was with kids. I knew in the back of my mind we were gonna get married but, I am gonna be patient I thought. Ellie looked back at me and smiled. She whispered something to my nephew and he waved at me with his adorable grin. I laughed and did a small wave back at him. Ellie laughed and mouthed 'I love you.' I mouthed it back and resumed the conversation with my sisters.

It had been two hours since we got there. I was a little ready to leave but we were just about to sing happy birthday and eat cake. Everyone was gathering at the table outside, Ellie sat next to me with her hand in mine. I leaned my head on her shoulder about to fall asleep.

"Are you tired?" Ellie whispered to me.

"Yeah but it's fine." I said yawning, struggling to keep my eyes open.

"We can leave soon." she said, kissing the top of my head. I just loved how much she cared for me. We all sang happy birthday and my nephew opened his presents. He opened the gift we got him and he gasped.

"Thank Ellie and Auntie!" he said, hugging Ellie and me.

"I'm so glad you like it." Ellie said, messing up his hair and he burst into giggles.

After all the gifts were open I was so done. I just wanted to crawl into my bed and sleep. Ellie could tell and stood up announcing she had work early in the morning. I loved how she made up excuses for me.

We hugged everyone and walked back to Ellies car hand in hand. She opened the door for me like a true gentleman.

"Thanks for making that excuse for me." I said, kissing her cheek.

"Anytime." She said with a big grin.

On the drive home Ellies hand rested gently on my thigh. It was little acts like this that made me fall in love with her even more. We arrived at my house and Ellie walked me to my door.

"Ill see you tomorrow." Ellie said, holding both my hands.

"Yup, at 12 right?"

"I will text you tomorrow to remind you ok." She kissed me and slowly turned more passionate. Ellie pulled away knowing I was tired. I was never tired of this.

"I love you." she said, capturing my lips in one final kiss.

"I love you too." I said waving as she walked away. Watching her walk back to the car made me all giddy. Ellie was so sweet to drop me off, walk me to the door and give me a kiss goodnight. I unlocked the door and shut it, so ready to go pass out on my bed.