Communication

The door burst open, followed by a loud slam. I flinched from the loud noise, my head whipping to look at the door, Ellie's cheeks were pink from the winter air. She threw her bag on the floor with a sigh. She walked over to the couch with a loud thud, she ran her hands over her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked moving to sit closer to her. I placed my hand on top of her, rubbing my thumb over her cold hand.

"Nothing." Ellie said with no emotion.

"It's clearly not nothing." I said concerned. Ellie moved her hand away from mine. Leaning it on the edge of the couch.

"Nothings wrong OK y/n!" Ellie said, with a raised voice she hardly ever called me by my actual name.

"It's ok if you don't wanna talk about it-" Ellie interrupted me with a loud sigh.

"Obviously I don't wanna talk about it." Ellie said raising her hands in frustration.

I was angry now. She doesn't get to talk to me like that. She doesn't get to take her anger out on me.

"You don't get to talk to me like that Ellie." I said calmly. I didn't want to make the situation worse by raising my voice.

"Can you stop acting like a bitch! I swear whenever I'm in a bad mood you always try to fix everything and treat me like I'm five." Ellie yelled, she was looking at me. I could see the anger in her eyes.

"You don't get to call me a bitch. I'm trying to understand why you are feeling this way and want you to communicate your feelings to me because I care about you and I want to know what's wrong." I said, trying my best to stay calm I knew she wasn't mad at me, but it was hard to not take her emotional outburst personally.

"Can you just stop!" Ellie yelled loudly, leaning her head back groaning at my words.

Before I could think of anything to say back, I got up and started walking to our bedroom.

"Where the fuck are you going?" Ellie yelled after me. I turned around, my face red from anger and Ellie's harsh words.

"Clearly aren't ready to be a mature person and communicate to me how you're feeling. When you are ready to have mature conversation, come find me." I said slamming the bedroom door. I just had to tell myself she was just taking her anger out on her, and that she probably didn't mean what she said.

I crawled under the covers, taking my book from my nightstand. I tried to distract myself by reading my book but I couldn't. I just closed my eyes, trying to fall asleep.

——

There was a quiet knock on the door. I sat up, realizing the room was dark. The windows were black with a few street lights lit up. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes.

"Come in." I called. Ellie opened the door softly, closing it behind her. She walked over to the bed sitting beside me. Her eyes were red, she looked like she had been crying.

"I'm really sorry y/n. I didn't mean a single thing I said." Ellie was Looking down, fidgeting with her fingers.

"I Shouldn't have taken my anger out on you. It wasn't right and not how someone should treat their girlfriend." Ellie's Voice was shaky. She wouldn't look at me.

"Come here." I said patting the empty space beside me. She gave me a small smile climbing under the covers. She wrapped her arms around my waist, pulling me closer to her. She rested her head on my chest, I ran my fingers through her hair softly.

"I'm so sorry y/n." Ellie said resting her chin on my shoulder.

" I want you to communicate how you feel. That's the only way we can have a healthy relationship." I said, Ellie nodded in agreement softly kissing my shoulder.

"I'm just so bad communicating how I feel but I'm going to get better at it. I promise." Ellie said, with a soft smile.

We spent the rest of the night wrapped in each other's arms while Ellie told me about her all about her shitty day.