Chapter 78

Sometimes, I wondered if I made the right decision in coming with Salina to this world. Despite my duty to fix the numerous mistakes Rick left behind and change my friends' fates, I couldn't help but to think from time to time that maybe things would've been better off had I stayed away.

In any case, staying in my world would've saved me from countless headaches...

...including the one I had to deal with now.

Whatever semblance of calm within the forum had long since vanished. Broken glass, food, and stones covered the streets. Legionnaires and Lares ran in a frantic sprint towards the Senate House. The eagles flew overhead in large, sweeping circles, clearly guarding the edges of the Pomerian line against any other potential enemies.

Instead of entering the Senate House guns blazing, I disguised myself as an adult legionnaire, the type usually held in reserves when things were truly dire.

Unlike the current legionnaires, the reserves sat in the nosebleed seats of the Senate. Despite the distance from the main stage, I could see everything from here. The chaos that existed outside died the moment people stepped through the doors as the legionnaires, centurions, and sole praetor took their places.

As for the augur, well, let's say I wasn't surprised to see Octavian storming around the stage, waving his arms so aggressively I thought they'd fall off.

"Those Greeks have gone too far!" Octavian exclaimed, slamming a fist against his palm to make his point. "They attacked an Olympian on that warship! And not just any Olympian, but Lord Apollo, my ancestor; and yours, too!"

The children and legacies of Apollo loudly booed. The other legionnaires shouted their anger and dissent, echoing off the domed roof. Among the reserves, I could feel their simmering rage, but any outcries of emotion were much more subdued.

"Attacking an Olympian is one of the highest forms of treason!" Octavian continued. The crowd cheered. "Is this the type of behavior those Greeks deem acceptable? They are barbarians, all of them, and we cannot let them stand!"

Reyna's eye twitched in annoyance. She set her jaw and clenched her fists. Aurum and Argentum, who were allowed in the Senate, growled at Octavian. Only Reyna's silent command to stay kept the metal dogs from tearing Octavian to shreds.

Amid the chaos, I watched as Gwen and Dakota raised their hands.

Octavian scowled. Still, for the sake of pretense, he allowed them to speak.

"How do we know that was Apollo that screamed?" Gwen asked.

"It could've been that scrawny kid accidentally burning himself in his engine," Dakota suggested. "Or someone slipping and falling. Or it could've been a prank that went wrong. Or-"

"Thank you, Gwen and Dakota," Octavian said through gritted teeth. "While your ideas are borderline sympathetic to those Greeks, I admire your desire for the truth. No, it was Apollo who was viciously attacked, something I know thanks to being his legacy."

Complete and utter bull.

If demigods couldn't feel the physical pain and suffering their parents underwent, legacies sure as hell couldn't. I guarantee you that if this were the case, children of Ares/Mars would wake up so sore that I doubted many of them would be able to get out of bed.

Any other attempt at reason died as some of the other Apollo children and legacies leaped at that faulty logic for all it was worth. Others looked skeptical and shook their heads but kept quiet, lest they suffer Octavian's wrath.

Okay, enough watching this train wreck. I needed to try and nip this in the bud if I could.

I appeared on the stage a little ways from Octavian – I didn't need one of his flailing arms to the face right now – and a sudden hush fell across the crowd.